Hi, I'm Jill

jill

5 Year Member
What and how much do I feed 8 year old tortoises. What can I plant and where do I find the seed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jill, and welcome to the Forum!

We'll need to know what kind of tortoise you have, because the different species eat different things.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Yep: Lots information needed before those experts able to help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Jill...I sense you're having a bit of trouble with the Forum! It's my spidey sense. ;)

jill

5 Year Member
I found a list of food on the site. I don't know what most of the plants are. I'm heading out to the nursery today.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I can help with the 'how much' though without knowing what kind they are. You can put down a big handful of greens about the same size as the tortoise. If he eats it all up and looks for more, it wasn't enough.

jill

5 Year Member
They usually eat everything. I want to plant some greens while waiting for seed to grow.

jill

5 Year Member
Hello and Welcome. Yep: Lots information needed before those experts able to help.
They are California desert tortoises. I've had them since they were 3 months old. They have been outside for about 4 years now. I need to buy plants for them so I'm not just feeding lettuces, kale, and spinach.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Oh, no.....

No Spinach for any tortoise. Please contact @yvonne ASAP. She will guide you the proper care of your CDT.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I can help with the 'how much' though without knowing what kind they are. You can put down a big handful of greens about the same size as the tortoise. If he eats it all up and looks for more, it wasn't enough.

Someone need help here with a 4 years old CDT on some Spinach diet.

jill

5 Year Member
Someone just told me no spinach. Wondering why? I'm thinking of giving them away, if I could find a good home for them.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Someone just told me no spinach. Wondering why? I'm thinking of giving them away, if I could find a good home for them.

Where are you? If it is CDT, you also need to register them, they can not go back to wild. Yvonne should know and may help you to fine a good home for them. You can upload some photo of them?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! I am thinking a couple of threads have been joined into one, making this thread a bit scrambled. You have a couple of 8 yr old CDT, which have lived outside for 4 yrs. Your wanting to enlarge their diet and grow them some plants. Correct so far?