Hi I just joined

Status
Not open for further replies.

williesmom

5 Year Member
I recently purchased a hermans tortoise which is about 3 months old now - he is not very active and doesn't eat much most days - about every three days is when he is more active. Is that normal for a baby?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Welcome. And no. Baby torts typically eat up a storm. Sometimes they get stressed out being in a new enclosure. Give us some pics and we will let you know if everything is ok for the little guy.

williesmom

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
Welcome. And no. Baby torts typically eat up a storm. Sometimes they get stressed out being in a new enclosure. Give us some pics and we will let you know if everything is ok for the little guy.

What can I do to "make him eat"?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum :) Can you tell us about your setup? what are your temps ?

williesmom

5 Year Member
He is in a 15 gallon tank with an underglass heater at one end and I use a 75 watt heat bulb at the other end and a 10 UVA/B Bulb.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME:D. Babies usually sleep a lot, but also usually eat a lot. Like already mentioned, give us your set up. Temps, basking, all over, cool end, substrate, humidity, foods, etc.

williesmom

5 Year Member
He is in a 15 gallon tank with an underglass heater at one end - temp around 80 and at the other end I am using a 75 watt heat bulb and the temp gets up to 95. I also have a 10W uvb bulb.

williesmom

5 Year Member
As far as substrate I am using an alflpha pellets and he eats different lettuces - I have a tortoise dry food that I moisten that he may take a bit or two of. He doesn't poop alot - maybe a bit every couple of days but again he doesn't eat much either. He does drink everyday in the morning.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
take him off the pellets and use coco coir. try soaking him in the morning in warm water for about 15-20 minutes. this should help stimulate his appetite. try using a mixture of greens, grasses, and some colorful foods to entise him, like rose flowers, hibiscus flowers, red peppers, yellow squash. Also being a wee one, do you chop or grate the food up for him?

williesmom

5 Year Member
Do you mean like a rose petal? From the florist? And should I be grating his food - I would think it would wilt very quickly. What about baby food covering some lettuce?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi williesmom:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I think a 15 gallon tank is too small. It might be too hot in there for him. You need something big enough that you can have a gradient...warm on one end and cooler on the other end.

Do you soak the tortoise at all?

I'd put him in a shallow bowl of warm water and then while he's soaking, chop up some food and place it at the feeding station. Then after he's soaked for about 15 minutes, place him in front of the food and get out of sight.

It might be a good idea to ask health questions on a new thread in the appropriate section. Some folks don't really read the "introductions" section and your question might be missed by the people who can help you the most.

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

Status
Not open for further replies.