Hi from the High Desert

JohnnyB65

Location (City and/or State)
Southern CA High Desert
Well I usually hang around for awhile reading posts before joining a forum, but for some reason I just jumped right in without reading a single post. I hope I didn’t make a mistake. :)

Anyway I don’t why I never thought about looking for a place like this before because I’ve had my desert tortoise for over 8 years now.

I’m planning on building him a new burrow because I feel that he may be out growing it. It will be his 4th digs since we got him. Not counting the first few winters he spent in the garage inside a plastic tub covered with old coats before I felt he was big enough to hibernate outside.

I do have plenty of photos to post as soon see how things are going.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Welcome -- welcome -- WELCOME to the Forum! Glad to have u on board and can't wait to see some pix of your desert tort. Pull up a chair - theres lots of info and interesting folks and torts to read about.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) You won't be sorry you just jumped in on this forum. Lots of great friendly members always willing to help and we love to talk torts, see pics and just have fun, while also learning new things.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Johnny. Ascott is also from the High Desert (I think - is Apple Valley considered High Desert?)

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Welcome to the Forum, Johnny. Ascott is also from the High Desert (I think - is Apple Valley considered High Desert?)
Why yes it is. I'm a little far from there actually, but I was looking around that part of the desert for a new place to retire to. I have a some friends that live there.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Welcome. I love Desert Tortoises, they are so personable.
Thanks for the welcome.:)
I have to say that I read some 8 years ago that desert tortoise are solitary creatures, but I am here to say that is hogwash. My desert tortoise loves us and follows us around everywhere we go in the yard like a puppy.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Johnny welcome to the TFO from AZ . And yes I have desert torts also . But mine are AZ torts and mine aren't loners either .ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1408503354.342344.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Good to have you here and this is great place to learn and share. Care to share a photo of your Torts? Thanks.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Hi :) Im Maria, Welcome to TFO. :) You certainly did not make a mistake by just jumping in here on TFO, We are one wild and crazy group of folks :eek: ,with one big thing in common, We all love our torts and love sharing info and helping each other learn how to better care for them. IMO TFO has the most up to date info on raising healthy torts who dont just live but thrive in their environments. Good Luck to you and yours.

P.S. The only mistake you may have made is not posting pics of your tort or torts. WE LOVE PICS.. We are all tapping our feet waiting Johnny.... Tap tap...tapa tap lol :p

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The only mistake you may have made is not posting pics of your tort or torts. WE LOVE PICS.. We are all tapping our feet waiting Johnny.... Tap tap...tapa tap lol

Toe tapping happening here as well....hello and welcome to the Forum....I do live in the high desert....if you are closer to Antelope Valley side then you are like over by the Tehach...side? I am on the other side of the Mojave....

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
OK here is a photo. :cool:

TortoiseGarden_1_zps9a5f6aeb.jpg

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Toe tapping happening here as well....hello and welcome to the Forum....I do live in the high desert....if you are closer to Antelope Valley side then you are like over by the Tehach...side? I am on the other side of the Mojave....
My job has me all over the High Desert. In fact I have to work all day near Barstow tomorrow. My job has me spending a lot of time alone in the desert and I’ve really grown to love the desert over the years.

It wasn’t always that way and when my job first brought me here, I hated it and was even thinking of quitting if I could not get a transfer somewhere else. Now after 25 years I’ve somehow transformed into a desert rat and never saw it coming. :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Now after 25 years I’ve somehow transformed into a desert rat and never saw it coming.

It absolutely does happen....one day you find yourself busy in the middle of something and suddenly you look up and around and think, damn, this is absolutely one of the most breathtaking places to be...and I live here...awesome. I was born in Los Angeles...and around 1994 I came to this area to help out with an ailing Grandmother...and well, just kinda picked up life and ran with it here....once in a while my son and I will pop back into Los Angeles...for the local sights...but I am always very happy to be back home...

I am curious though??? If you mind me asking---just let me know to mind my own business, no feelings will be hurt; you say you are afforded the opportunity to be in the desert for long periods of time alone for your employment....what is it that you do?

Also, absolutely gorgeous tort..