Hi from Pensacola!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatTortoise

5 Year Member
Hi folks,

Spent a while lurking but this is my first post.

My wife and I are new to the tortoise scene. We went to our local Repticon a few months ago and despite her resolution to not buy anything (and mine to buy a snake), we came back with two yearling redfoot torts. We have since fallen in love with these little critters and are about to adopt two more Russian tortoises.

Thanks to all the folks here for their advice. This forum is a great source for first timers. And it's nice to know there are other folks out there just as crazy as we are.

:tort:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Your tale is a very common one, even I have done the same. Are you enjoying the tortoises?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) Wow, you guys really jumped in. No buying, to buying two, to now two more. I can see you have great restraint :p :D just kidding, I think that's great. Just incase you don't know though, species should never be mixed. Don't forget to post pics.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!!

And like Wellington said - separate pens for the Russians and the Redfooteds.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Also realize that pairs are often problematic. The RFs might be okay, but the russians will lost likely need separate enclosures. Good luck!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Welcome :)

Redfoots and Rusians need very different conditions and diet for healthy growth, so separate enclosures for the species are a must :)

Russians in particular are solitary in the wild and have huge territories. They may start out OK in a small enclosure together, but they will rapidly need more space, preferably outside. They are also masters of the arts of physical and mental bullying to persuade other torts to leave their territory, so pairs usually have to be separated. Groups of 3 or more can work in large outdoor enclosures, otherwise they prefer to live alone. They don't get lonely.

Redfoots are usually better behaved, but even they can resort to bullying occasionally, so keep an eye on them and separate if one becomes withdrawn or the the target of physical bullying.

GreatTortoise

5 Year Member
We've actually already got a separate enclosure set up for our pending Russians.

We did a lot research and knew from a friend who works at a local zoo that our Redfoots shouldn't mix with our Russians.

But we are enjoying our tortoises alot. And since we are buying things for their salads that we have never tried before, they are in a way helping us expand our own diet.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to TFO. I have both of these species, they are excellent choices. They do however have very different neds.

Status
Not open for further replies.