Hi from Ireland

Jay81

5 Year Member
Hi

My name is Jay and I have a horsefield tortoise named Spike. I have him 8 years now and love him dearly. He is such a great character and loves roaming around the house and garden.

I am thinking of getting a dog, but I am afraid of how it will interact with Spike. I don't want to restrict him in anyway as he has the freedom to go around as he pleases. I am thinking of a beagle but am holding off on getting one until I have researched it fully and ensure that Spike will not be at risk. I know they would have to be monitored all the time.

I would appreciate any advice anyone could give me in relation to this. Or is there particular dog breed that may be better suited. Not a big dog though!

thanks

Jay

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Tortoises and dogs do not mix. It is almost a guarantee the tortoise will get chewed.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Jay welcome to the TFO from AZ
Sorry it don't work for all the reasons
You already know .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jay:

Welcome to the Forum!!

Unless you plan on being with the dog all the time he's near the tortoise, there's just no guarantee. One way to have the best of both worlds is if you could enclose a section of the garden for the tortoise where the dog can't get in.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! What part of Ireland? Is the dog going to be out in the garden with the tortoise by himself or only when your there too?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Or is there particular dog breed that may be better suited. Not a big dog though!

Perhaps ;

Maltese; but they need alot of human time or they are prone to emotional/behavior issues....

Pug; they are a little head strong but generally a fun breed...

Shih tzu; They generally have a calm demeanor but do also like to play....they are a breed that has high grooming demands (well, unless you do them a favor of keeping their hair trimmed short)..

If you are looking for a smaller dog addition then the purchase of a doggy crate for when you leave the house is a kind thing to do as well....they have really stylish/comfy ones these days....and if you have a small breed then the options are great....

You will need to take precautions no matter what breed you decide to go with....and yes, if your tort has been free roaming in your home all of this time---when you get a dog that will likely need to be changed....just really hard to say to what extent...:D