Hello from Ireland

squizzy

Location (City and/or State)
Meath
Hi guys,

Complete newbie here and looking for advice regarding what tortoise would be best suited for a first time owner.
I am completely new to reptiles although I am a veterinary nurse of both large and small animals.

I have worked with some reptiles and amphibians while I lived in Australia but nothing too intense. They do, however, interest me greatly :)

I am looking into ownership of a tortoise and wondering what type would be most suitable for first time owner? I want to make sure I have everything lined up before I get the tortoise and want to ensure that I can source a good reptile vet, based in Ireland and have the enclosure set up before it's arrival.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

squizzy

Meath
Hi guys,

Complete newbie here and looking for advice regarding what tortoise would be best suited for a first time owner.
I am completely new to reptiles although I am a veterinary nurse of both large and small animals.

I have worked with some reptiles and amphibians while I lived in Australia but nothing too intense. They do, however, interest me greatly :)

I am looking into ownership of a tortoise and wondering what type would be most suitable for first time owner? I want to make sure I have everything lined up before I get the tortoise and want to ensure that I can source a good reptile vet, based in Ireland and have the enclosure set up before it's arrival.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

sardie

Ireland
Hi, I live in Dublin and have two Hermann tortoise, you will need a good tortoise table, my partner made my two tables both with upstairs for exercise

Attachments

• E87274E8-82C6-463C-9EED-5F9D0016EC11.jpeg
    E87274E8-82C6-463C-9EED-5F9D0016EC11.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome great that you are doing your homework first. There are many members here that can help. Good luck on your choice
When you decide there is great updated info here on most breeds.

Last edited:

squizzy

Meath
Hi, I live in Dublin and have two Hermann tortoise, you will need a good tortoise table, my partner made my two tables both with upstairs for exercise
Thanks so much for the photo reference to your tortoise table, looks amazing!

I will be looking for my partner to make mine for me too (he is just to learn this haha).

I'm just very nervous of getting it all wrong!

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
The great thing is, on this forum you can learn from everyone ELSE'S mistakes, so you don't have to make as many on your own. Everyone here is still learning.

Hello from Florida, and welcome to the Forum!