Hi from Edmonton Canada

cheryhead81

New here. Recently adopted ( 2 weeks ago)a 2 year old cherryhead named Buttercup.This is my set up so far : 4'×4' tort table i built myself / added a greenhouse topper to keep heat and humidity up/ 150w basking bulb / a uvb uva combo light/ and a 100w CHE for night time heat/ 4 hides for her to choose from/ the rear cooler area i use coco fiber for subtrate and the rest of the area i used just a forest barky subtrate from the pet store. Basking area is 90-95 degrees and 100 on top of the rock hide ... surounding area is 80 degrees... cooler area never gets lower than 70 degrees (at night the whole set up is between 70-80 based on distance to the che)... i spray her subtrate a couple times a day and humidity stays constant at around 60-80 % ...i bath/soak her daily (when she cooperates) ... based on my research i think my humidity is a little low still ... any thoughts on how to raise it ? And based on my research my temps seem to be bang on but if anyone has any suggestions or difference in opinion please share.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Are those ZooMed gauges the only thing you are using to monitor temps? They are notoriously inaccurate. Her cage looks nice, but you forgot to share pics of Buttercup!

cheryhead81

Yes they are the zoomed gauges ... i have been wondering if it was accurate... i will look at getting new ones

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
She is gorgeous!

Invest in a non-contact temp gun (I got mine at the auto parts store for $30) and an indoor/outdoor thermometer with a humidity gauge. I got mine from the Garden section of the local hardware store for $25. They are totally worth it since torts can be picky about things being off a few degrees in either direction.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
That's a beautiful tort! And a really nice enclosure! Welcome!

Did you do something to protect the wood (paint, plastic)? I just pour water into one corner. That way the bottom layers are moist (to keep up humidity) and the top layer is only mildly moist (to prevent shell rot). This way I keep humidity >80% quite easily.

Good luck!

cheryhead81

20160219_174921.jpg 20160214_125439.jpg
That's a beautiful tort! And a really nice enclosure! Welcome!

Did you do something to protect the wood (paint, plastic)? I just pour water into one corner. That way the bottom layers are moist (to keep up humidity) and the top layer is only mildly moist (to prevent shell rot). This way I keep humidity >80% quite easily.

Good luck!
Hi and thanks! Yes i put some flooring underlay under the substrat to protect the wood. I have experimented with pouring water in some areas of enclosure aswell but didnt really notice a difference in humidity. Im really thinking this gauge i have is inaccurate because when i open the topper to feed or change water or take her out etc.. it seems really humid in there to me.

cheryhead81

She is gorgeous!

Invest in a non-contact temp gun (I got mine at the auto parts store for $30) and an indoor/outdoor thermometer with a humidity gauge. I got mine from the Garden section of the local hardware store for $25. They are totally worth it since torts can be picky about things being off a few degrees in either direction.
Hey thats a good idea i actually have one of those temp guns at work that i rarely use. I will bring that home Monday. She seems to be quite content so im not to worried about temp. But it would be good to know an accurate reading.

Randi

Canada
Welcome! I am from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada as well. Be sure to cruise the forum. Wonderful section for Red Foots and Cherry Heads. There's a lot of information to be found here in general about enclosures, food, health, etc. This place is filled with experience and knowledgeable people.