hi everyone and thank you

aimeerusko

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi everyone. I have been animal foster home for about 9 years now and in that time i have had many different reptiles, rodents,and many many cats and dogs. But i had not had the pleasure of a tortoise untill about a month ago.when i was given a small 10 gallon tank a clamp lamp with a coil uvb bulb and a small Russian tortoise with a puffy eye from my local animal shelter. I had no idea what I was doing but like all my other first reptiles i went to the internet for help and found your forum. It was a great help i now keep him in a 4'x3' plastic tote with a hide live plants a proper uvb bulb with temp monitoring and a humidity gage for his indoor set up. And he has a 6'round kids pool with plants and hides outside. I can't let him live out there all the time because like i said I foster dogs and it would be unsafe for him to be unsupervised. He is taken out everyday (weather permitting) and given time to wonder and i am happy to say he no longer has the eye infection and got a clean bill of health from the vet. Also as of yesterday he is officially adopted. (by me) I have named him Odysseus and am looking forward to many years enjoying his company. Thank you everyone on her for sharing your knowledge and years of experience so newbies like me can quickly and efficiently correct problems causing health issues before they get out of hand. You are all such a wonderful help and i am glad to know that should i have trouble in the future i will have you all to help.

You are an amazing person, just going to say that. So many people abuse and mistreat their pets and don't understand their space and boundary's. I recently save my own breeder pair from a pet store. Their was an 18 inch male and a 13-15 inch female who where in a 3x3 foot space. I'm really happy to know that people care for mistreated animals. Keep up the good work!

aimeerusko

California
I just came to the realization that i dont actually feed my tortoise. I keep timothy hay in his indoor home and have lots of different weeds growing in the corner like mallows and dandelions.also he has a violet and aloe plant to munch.outside i planted a few seed packs i got called tortoise grazing seed mix. I just let him wonder around and eat. But i don't give calcium or vitamin supplements to him he has some cuttlebones but that's it. Is this ok? Or should I do something different?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

In nature, Russian tortoises eat a lot. Their 'awake' season is so short that they are hard wired to wander and eat, wander and eat. It would be perfectly fine if you were to pick some edible weeds and offer it to the tortoise daily.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Well, hello in your own thread! Glad I have found you! Warmest welcome from Texas to you and your little tortie. He is a cutie and you've done great job with planting the enclosure. I love Foster Parents of any species. I would totally do it, but... would have to have different husband... Mine loves animals just doesn't like the in the house. Thank you for your work, we need more people like you. You guys truly make a difference. Your tort is lucky to have been adopted by you❤️ i'm looking forward to exchanging ideas with you.

aimeerusko

California
Thank you pearly and everyone im looking forward to getting to know all of you and your tortoises. One quick question. I'm going to put some pic of his shell can you tell me if the smooth spots are ok? Had thought they just look like that but then I look at some of the pics on here and well im not sure anymore. If its just scars from a rough life then no big just add to his character but if its a sign of a problem then i need to keep an eye on it.

aimeerusko

California
WP_20160306_11_48_02_Pro.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20160306_11_48_28_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160306_11_48_28_Pro.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • WP_20160306_11_48_19_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160306_11_48_19_Pro.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12

Pearly

5 Year Member
I don't know about your tort species but to me his is the most clean, beautifully polished shell I've ever seen. What do you use to clean him?

aimeerusko

California
The vet did it because his shell was flaking its just coconut oil and a rag for polishing glasses. He said to come back in about once a month and he will do it again for free. Just have to make sure i give him a soak at least ever other day. Oh and he is a Russian

aimeerusko

California
When we went to the vet he said he didn't like his shell but i thought it was just the flaking. But now that look at other pics i was wondering if his shell is flat looking.

Pearly

5 Year Member
When we went to the vet he said he didn't like his shell but i thought it was just the flaking. But now that look at other pics i was wondering if his shell is flat looking.
I don't know, to me it looks very nice. I've done coconut oil on mine but didn't think about polishing with a rag... Good idea

aimeerusko

California
Odysseus seems to like it every time I give him a soak i dry him with a micro fiber polishing rag. When i do it he always sticks his neck out really far so i can rub under his chin and then he closes his eyes.it reminds me of a cat. If he could i think he would purr.

aimeerusko

California
Guardian Technologies

3.7 out of 5 stars 592 Reviews

PureGuardian H920BL 10-Hour Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier, Table Top

thinking about getting one of these and just outing it in his table with him because he in Cali we have cry low humidity what do you guys think

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Most of us close off a portion or most of our enclosures to keep in humidity and don't use humidifiers. Not that there is anything wrong with them, they are just an un needed expense and make something simple overly complex.
A more suitable substrate such as mulch or bark would help with keeping the humidity. Hay will likely get moldy if kept damp.