Hi all, please help me Identify and sex my torts, I rescued them and do not know what they are.

Maddhippy

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi all, please help me Identify and sex my torts, I rescued them and do not know what they are.
I know they are small, can anyone help, I am in the UK.

DSC_0133.JPG DSC_0137.JPG DSC_0144.JPG DSC_0147.JPG DSC_0152.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

shelley11

Because they are very small babies it's almost Impossible to tell until they at least reach 2 years old

Maddhippy

UK
I have found out that they originated in North Africa from near Marrakech/Casablanca, does that help?

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum! Let's send a shout out to @HermanniChris Given the location you've stated, he may be able to I.D. them for you. But the sex won't be known for a few years yet.

Maddhippy

UK
i have built a tortoise table for them, but what do i keep them on
Hi, and welcome to the forum! Let's send a shout out to @HermanniChris Given the location you've stated, he may be able to I.D. them for you. But the sex won't be known for a few years yet.
Thanks for the welcome, I have no idea of the age of them or what is best to keep them on, I have just let them have a good soak in some luke warm water and they both drank heartily, now running around exploring the tort table I have built for the interim.. I just hope I can identify them soon so that I can take the proper actions to keep them healthy..

Maddhippy

UK
Thanks for the welcome :) I just hope I can find out what they are :)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
They look very young, only a few months old. In 2 years you can start guessing what the sex is but you've got a long wait to be sure. Some sexually mature as early as 2 years and others not for 4 or 5.

Maddhippy

UK
They look very young, only a few months old. In 2 years you can start guessing what the sex is but you've got a long wait to be sure. Some sexually mature as early as 2 years and others not for 4 or 5.
Thank you, they seem to get on ok, do you have any idea of the type of tort they are?

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
There is absolutely no way to sex them at this age. They're pretty fresh as in maybe 2-4 weeks old. They are 100% Greek tortoises and appear to be Testudo graeca graeca or Testudo graeca soussensis.

Maddhippy

UK
Thank you for that, they were close to death when I picked them up, originally from North Africa, Morocco.
Is there a way to tell which one they are? will clearer photos help?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi Maddhippy

Where did you get them from?
Where in the UK are you?
Do you have any photos of the enclosure you made?
Cheers

Craig