Heyla from Louisiana

BatFace

Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans, LA
Hey guys, new tortoise family here. We've read most all the faqs and care info in the stickied threads, but I thought I'd go ahead and join and introduce us.

I'm Ray/Batface. I purchased a sulcata baby for my mom on her 50th birthday, Nov 7th. I'm normally against animals as gifts but she's been talking about getting one for years, and I live next door and am kind of her house keeper during the week while she works so I knew I would be a co-caretaker. So I thought now thaty parents bought a house and have the room and I'm here to help, we'd make the leap.

It went great. She loves him, I love him. She immediately named him Yoda, she usually takes days to pick a name and asks me for suggestions. We have him currently in a tub, he is warm and humid and eating and pooping and peeing.

We're nearly done with a home made turtle table, and as usual my dad has gone above and beyond our expectations and we can't wait to get it inside and set up. We have just seeded his outdoor play area and planted eddible flowers.

The one question I have is what kind of... obstacles(?) y'all recommend for his enclosures. He has a nice big hide we will keep humid and with burrowing material. And his food and very shallow water dish, basking rocks under the light/heat emmiter. But what else would he good? I see a lot of people have sections partially decided so he can't see straight across, is that for a reason or just aesthetics? Something to climb? Obviously not too steep. Areas with different types of substrate?

Thanks, can't wait to get to know yall.
RayIMG_20181107_161312950.jpg

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Welcome to the forum! That's an adorable tortoise :)
If they have sight barriers and obstacles it makes their space feel bigger and more interesting. It forces them to walk around more when they can't see everything.
I use pieces of bark, small logs, rocks, potted plants and even cinder blocks. My torts love to climb but I make sure it's easy enough that they won't flip themselves over. That can be hazardous.

Last edited:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! *waves* I have a lot of reason for mine. For the human it can make it more aesthetically appealing, more enjoyable, more interesting and more challenging. For the tortoise it gives him things to move, to destroy and simply show his human who is smarter and more determined. Seriously it also gives him the ability to be more like a wild tortoise, to have experiences and challenges, to use all of his muscles, and overall enrich his life.

It may be you grow things for him to graze on like plant seeds in his enclosure. Bringing in potted, already strongly grown and tougher plants which make him work to rip up, dig out, turn over, simply destroy. Plants hung over the side usually live longer. Take the substrate and build ever changing hills and valleys. Teach him to be able to turn from being stuck on his back, to safety on his legs again. Sticks and logs can be jungle gyms, be sure they are sized approximately for him to right himself, especially if near water or his lights. Rocks can help with nail wearage and beak.

What you feed and how can be enrichments. I mentioned the live and growing plants already. Don't always cut up his food, make him sometimes have to rip and tear. Don't just use soft young plants, give him an old tough leaf and leave the hard stem and veins in it. Feeding weeds and grasses also rather the the nice store bought greens. Keep changing the variety of foods he gets.

Placement of foods is important. Feed on that slate, tile, whatever to wear on beaks and limit substrate ingestion, but sometimes try hanging those leaves so he has to reach up for them. Hide a choice yummy, in ever changing locations, so he will find it on his rounds.

The list is just limitless on things you can do and increases as he gets older and larger.

Welcome to always changing and fascinating world of tortoises.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ray, and welcome to the Forum!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome from another Ray and sully owner! Cute little tort.