Hello from Louisiana

Tobi2008

Location (City and/or State)
Madisonville, Louisiana
Hey everyone. I've had Tobi, my sulcata tortoise, for about 7 years now. We live right outside of New Orleans in southern Louisiana.

We got Tobi by complete accident. I had ordered a leopard tortoise baby from a website in Florida and they sent me sulcata instead :confused:. So I called them and they said well keep it and we'll send you the leopard as well. I wasn't very happy, I wanted a leopard because they are smaller, more manageable....we live in the suburbs, we have neighbors and an HOA that forbids "farm" animals such as rabbits, turtles and chickens.

Well unfortunately my leopard passed away as an infant from a bacterial infection, but Tobi is going strong...of course. She has been challenging to say the least, but we have all grown to love her and she is in every sense a member of the family. We've since had 3 children and have 4 small dogs, 2 dachshunds and 2 chihuahuas, and everyone gets along great! :<3::)

We just bought a new house and I have been doing a lot of research to find some good plants to plant around the backyard for her to graze on. That's how I stumbled upon this forum. I'm so excited to be here, I think this will help with a lot of "challenges" that we will come across in the future.

I guess I should also mention that while we were in the process of moving into our new house my sister-in-law/neighbor was turtle sitting Tobi. Well her first day at work Tobi escaped out of her make shift backyard enclosure, as sulcatas like to do. We really thought someone had taken her. Well my sister-in-law felt really bad so she bought us another sulcata baby and one for herself. Well shortly after that, like the next day, one of the neighbors found Tobi wondering around by the woods and returned her to us. So now we have 2 sulcatas, both female, thank goodness. She is keeping the babies at her house until they get big enough to live outside, then Koopa will come live with us and be Tobi's new roomate. So that should be fun....:eek:

So anyways I look forward to getting to know all of you and reading all of your tortoise stories.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. How do you know the sex of the babies? Incubation temps?

Also, I'd love to see a plastron pic of Tobi showing the tail.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Read, learn, contribute, ask questions and have fun.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . Torts rule ! But I thought it was the law in New Orleans that a tort had to go drinking on Burbon St. :)

Tobi2008

Madisonville, Louisiana

Yes, the incubation temps, so all I have to go on is their word. Ok I'll take one of Tobi when I get home today.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yes, the incubation temps, so all I have to go on is their word. Ok I'll take one of Tobi when I get home today.
Welcome - there's lots to learn and this is the right place to learn it! So read, search and ask someone will soon be along to help and offer advice.

Tobi2008

Madisonville, Louisiana

Yes, the incubation temps, that's what they told me at least. I do have this pic on my phone....this probably isn't what you wanted to see though is it? Are you trying to tell for sure if she is a female? I'll have to take a better one when I get home.

Attachments

• Tobi's butt.jpg
    Tobi's butt.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 14