Hey There!

Cassidy Canova

Location (City and/or State)
Utah
64BCF885-88C9-4A7F-8A14-A83BBE1A9284.png D3075BE7-FA8D-4EA4-BED4-270540E6FFC9.png My name is Cassidy and I’m excited for you guys to meet Maui, my Russian! He usually goes by “Dwayne” at our house. I got Maui from a reptile rescue and am so excited to be his mama! He is a high maintenance little fella that hates spinach (will literally gag if you put it in front of him or leave it and eat everything else). I know that’s probably common but I think it’s hilarious.
Maui lives on a 170 gallon galvanized stock tank that is 30in x 6ft and he absolutely loves it. I think I have his enclosure pretty much all figured out and am getting to know what he likes and dislikes when it comes to food. He has an MVB bulb for basking (on for 12hr/off for 12 hr) and I have been using coco coir and organic soil as his substrate.
He is super active is happy to run around the house after soaking (I only let him run around in the house if I know he has used the bathroom in the last hour or so!) but loves to hide and sometimes sleep for days at a time if I don’t bother him. Hopefully that gets better once it’s warmer outside.
We live in Utah! Hopeful to build a fenced area so he can be outside during the summer! Im happy to take any suggestions you guys can give me on how to make my little guy happy! Thanks in advance and Thanks for letting me be part of the group!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here.

Do read the care sheets. Nobody wants to “jump” on an owner but when we see a hazard or potential health issue we are going to point it out. We want healthy tortoises as well as happy owners.

You’re going to get a LOT of feedback on tortoises roaming free; please take it. :)