Leo the Leopard Tortoise!

Amber and Red

Aloha Everyone,

Amber and Red - and our new little buddy Leo live in Maui, Hawaii.

Leo is a Leopard tortoise and is still small at only 6 months old. We've had him only a week now and we are excited to watch him grow! We are both new to tortoises and joined the forum to learn all we can!

Nice to meet everyone!

Mahalo,
Amber and Red

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome. He is a cutie. There are great care guides in the leoprd section of the forum.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . Please send me some of your warm weather . Nice looking little tort . Leopards Rule !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
An absolutely beautiful baby! You must be so proud.

Welcome to the forum!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Aloha and E komo mai:). Forum member Tom has some great threads for raisng leoards, some are at the bottom of my post, the sulcata ones also apply

Amber and Red

Thank you everyone. Leo is doing great!! We got him a basking light, uvb light, and nighttime heating light. We're still trying to figure out what works best for us and Leo. Since we live in Hawaii, we want to keep him mostly adapted to Hawaii weather while he's young and still indoors, since we plan to build him a nice outdoor home in a few years. I keep reading about people adjusting humidity for their torts, but we've decided it's already pretty humid here, so that's not going to be our main focus. Also, daytime temps aren't a huge deal either. We are mainly focusing on making sure he's being exposed to uvb light and how to keep him warm at nighttime but the heating lamp seems to be working perfect.

I would like to start home growing all of his food, but that's going to be a big project. So far we've gotten kale, mint and wheat grass going. We are also fortunate enough to be able to pick hibiscus whenever we want, which is good because that's Leo's favorite!

We also have constructed a portable fence for outside time, and try to give him an hour or two outdoors a day for now. Wish we could do more time, but both very busy. Leo seems to be doing very well and we have quickly fallen in love with him!!

Mahalo for everyone's comments, we enjoy reading them!

Amber, Red and Leo