He's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

coloradowildflower

5 Year Member
Hi all! I'm not a new sulcata owner: I've had Caesar for almost 17 years. But, I got him in college and brought him back to my parents' house to live when I came home from college. We both lived there for years, then I got married and he had such a nice home and my parents adored him so much that we all agreed he would stay until my husband and I had room for him. Well, today is the day. He's here, he's happy, he's healthy, and he's HUGE.

He's grown a lot since the old days of cuddling him on my lap. He weighs 123 pounds! (Although, as my son and I sat out on the lawn watching him, he walked right over to us and laid down contentedly next to us, so I think that still counts as cuddling :)

He has been so lovingly cared for (my dad adores him and took excellent care of him!) That I want this transition to be as easy for him as possible. So, I have a few questions about bringing home a tortoise that is his size that I can't find answers to:
1-He had a nice burrow dug in my parents' yard. Will he dig another? Can I "encourage" him to dig it where it would be best placed, or will he dig it wherever he wants regardless? If I can encourage it, how?
2-Is grazing on our large lawn and giving him Romaine every few days enough food? How do I know if he's hungry?
3-Is there a quick guide to nutrition for this size of tortoise? What, and how much of it SHOULD he be eating at this weight?
4-He is a bull. If he wants to go somewhere, he does. Right now, he's contained by the same fencing that my parents were using, and he doesn't seem to "test" it too much. I'd like for him to have the whole backyard, but I don't have that much of the fencing, and our main fence is chain-link, which I am SURE he will walk right through. So, what are the general guidelines for containing someone of his size? I read once, years ago, that torts need fencing they cannot see through. Is that true?
5-We have little kids. I know that they need to be supervised when playing near him because he could probably walk right over them, but are there other concerns? He has never seemed aggressive, but I'd like some input from other Sulcata owners with young children about how to safely raise them together.

He is a beloved part of the family, and I want his life with us to be as happy as the years he has spent with my parents. Any suggestions on how to make that happen?

I am SO excited to find this forum. When I got him all those years ago, I had to look up his species in a library book, and there were only 2 pages dedicated to Sulcatas. Times have changed. I look so forward to accessing your collective experience and knowledge to make his life great! Thanks in advance!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Welcome! How fun it must be for you, and I am sure your folks will miss him. While I reading your post all I could think about is that your folks have successfully raised him for years....so heck, why not mimic what they have been doing (with exception of the burrow issue and his new playmates ---your children:p)

I don't have Sulcatas...but think they ROCK! But I do know that when they decide to burrow it is kinda a place they choose, as with any other tortoise...you will find lots of folks with these awesome giants...suggestions on housing for all seasons, diet etc.

Have fun and again, welcome.

I will say it now as I know it will be said...pictures please!!!!! WE LOVE PICTURES...REALLY REALLY DO :p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Nice to hear, since your dad liked him so much have you considered getting him one of his own to love? Just a thought

coloradowildflower

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies, ascott and dmmj. It's so nice to know there's a community out there!

Ascott: I love that advice! It seems so attainable: just do what he's been doing and Caesar will be happy here, too! I've been reading on the forum and there are SO many things that one can do, it's a little overwhelming.

dmmj: I have thought of it, but he's been SO dedicated and worked so hard at keeping Caesar happy these last few years that he might be ready for a break. He doesn't live far away, and we see him several times a week, so he'll be by often and I think now it's his turn to get all the fun of a Sulcata without all the work ;)

Again, thanks for the welcomes and the responses! One more question: how can I be certain he's a he? (Not that it really matters, I'm not planning on breeding him or anything, just wondering) Keep in mind that he weighs 123 pounds, so flipping him over is not an option. Anything I can tell from above or beside him?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Welcome!
Yes a solid fence is better, It can be done pretty easily. Check the sulcata and Enclosure sections. I use 1x10 boards supported by concrete stakes that I screw into the boards to support them.
You lawn/yard should be plenty for him to eat. you can try grass hay as well. its better for him then romaine. mix romaine with the grass hay and that will entice him to eat the hay.
You will need a heat source/shed in the winter.. what did your dad use?

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
Welcome! You have found the right place to get all the right info so search threads and ask questions.
I don't have a giant dinosaur (just a tiny one) but i will have a shot at answering your questions:

1. They will do as they do like any animal (i include us in that statement) but in examining pictures of sulcata burrows, i notice they favour the bases of hills or "bumps" in the landscape.
2. He's hungry.
3. No hard and fast guide lines but you will get excellent advice and information here on the forum. Spring Mix/Santa Barabara Mix, Opuntia Cactus and Mazuri Toroise Diet are popular choices.
4. Cinder blocks and/or wooden fences seen popular. I think with some modification a chain link would be acceptable but don't quote me.
5. Sorry no kids so no idea.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I'm so glad you found us. Can't wait for pics. I answer your questions the best I can with what I know.
1. Sometimes they dig sometimes they don't. Sometimes if you dig out a depression big enough for him to get into and fill it with water they will start to dig as it soaks in. Works best on hot days. Where in the country do you live? Colorado?
2. How big is your lawn. If its a quarter acre or so, then you will probably grow enough for him to graze on all day. If not, I'd give him a little more. Dry horse hay works great. I like the bermuda grass type, but timothy or "orchard grass hay" are also good. You can just leave a dry flake out for him all the time and he can munch at will. Some of them eat it right away and others have to be introduced to it. Try getting a bunch in one hand and some scissors in the other. Then chop it all up over his other greens, like the romaine. As he eats the lettuce, he'll get used to the taste and texture. Start with just a little and gradually reach half and half and by then he'll probably be eating it on his own. THere are lots of other really good foods too. Try some spineless opuntia cactus. Its easy to grow your own or you can just buy it. Plant a grape vine. The leaves are really good for them and they love it. Mulberry tree leaves are great too. Mazuri is a prepared food that is really good for them too. Its always available even at those times of year when other food is scarce.
3. See #2 above. As adults I just let them have as much grass hay and weeds or grass for grazing as they want. I feed other stuff too, but that is generally not necessary if they have "natural" stuff to graze on. I do it for fun and cause I wuv them.
4. Yes its true about a visual barrier and you are right that he will push right through that chain link at will. You can get some 2x12" boards and paint them your favorite color. Then attach two rows of these to the bottom of your chain link fencing all the way around. Open spaces will need a 2x4" post in the ground to attach the boards to. I usually buy 8' 2x4s and cut them in half. Then I stick half of that (24") in the ground and attach my 2x12 boards to that.
5. Use caution. They are still "wild" animals and have wild animal instincts. They sometimes ram things and its often sudden and unexpected. Teach the kids to stay out from in front of him, especially when feeding him. They should stand off to one side or the other. A sulcata that big could break a grown man's ankle in a charge. Elephant trainers know to stay out from between solid objects (like walls) and their elephants. Big sulcata keepers should too.

One other thing that I have found that makes them very happy and healthy is having a heated retreat for night and cold days. How big and elaborate it is depends on the climate where you live. Some people build big insulated sheds and heat them all winter long. I live in a relatively mild climate, so here's what I did for mine: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-Mother-of-All-Tortoise-Boxes#axzz1QLzEjQtF

Good luck with him in his new home and keep us posted on how it goes. For posting pics, I like to use tinypic.com. Its very easy and you don't need an account. Its just an easy, free site. If your Dad ever does want another one PM me. I've got lots of them to choose from.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Coloradowildflower:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

In my opinion, a nice, insulated shed would be better than a burrow, unless you live in an area where the winters aren't too harsh (sulcatas don't hibernate).

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Welcome to the forum. So glad you now have a place for your tortoise. Would love to see a picture of him :cool:

ADVANceNA

5 Year Member
what a great story ! wow, i have nothing else to add to the already robust set of answers. hhmmm .... pictures ? haha, happy for you all !

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Welcome to the forum
Enjoy your tortoise.
I love to see those big guys

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
I love your story of getting him back after all of these years, I hope my kids will someday take care of Boulder when I am too old to do it anymore, kinda opposite of your situation :) Welcome to the forum, everyone here will have great advice and experience to share!

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Welcome to the forum. I can't suggest anything for you as I don't have sulcatas'. I just wanted to say that's a nice story! Glad you got him back.

Status
Not open for further replies.