Hermans and Greeks together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatrixDJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Is it okay for Hermans tortoises and Greek tortoises to be together in the same table/pen? If so, what precautions should I take to do this properly?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Even though they are both mediterranean torts, I as a rule don't mix different species. IMHO it just makes things easier.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I don't keep my adults together, but I admit that I have a small Jordanian living with my Hermann hatchlings. I didn't want to set up a whole other enclosure just for that one. I wouldn't do it with my adults though (and I probably shouldn't be doing it with my babies either.)

MatrixDJ

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Thank you guys for the input!! Looks like I will get another greek at some point then :)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Are they adults or babies? Wild caught or captive born? Hermann's and Greeks can can produce hybrids if they breed so as sub adult and adults, no it is not a good idea. Generally, if they're both captive born babies there really isn't much harm, but, what subspecies of Greek tortoise is yours? Hermann's are a northern Mediterranean species, as are Ibera Greeks. But most Greeks available nowadays are of Middle Eastern origin from Jordan, Lebanon, Syria & Southern Turkey. Middle Eastern Greeks have some different environmental requirements than Northern Mediterranean species. Tortoises from the two different geographical regions should not be kept together.

MatrixDJ

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
My baby Greek is a Testudo Graeca Ibera of the black color/subspecies. I know technically there are not subspecies. They would both be babies under a year old

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know box turtles aren't what you're asking about, but I do keep my baby box turtles all in the same habitat. It just makes it easier on the keeper. But when they're big enough to go outside, they each go into a habitat specifically for that type of turtle.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Generally, I'm of the belief that different species should not be kept together because of environmental requirements, disease transfer, etc... This applies to subspecies also (unless you want babies that are diluted by both characteristics).

But Eastern, Dalmatian Hermann's and Ibera Greeks are so close to the same environmental and captive care requirements that they do absolutely fine together. But again, I would not continue to keep them together as adults if they're different genders because there is the strong potential of them producing hybrid offspring.

The main difference between the two species is that most Hermann's can tolerate cooler overall temperatures and even slightly damper conditions. They (Hermann's) tend to be more active at cooler temperatures whereas Ibera will usually dig in to a hide area and wait for warmer, dryer conditions. Other than that their care requrements are identical.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
In Eastern Europe, Hermann and Greek tortoises can be found in some of the same countries (e.g. Romania). However, the two species occupy different habitats, with Greeks in more open, scrubby areas, and Hermanns in more wooded areas. So even in the wild, the two species probably don't encounter each other very often, and probably very rarely hybridize (especially since the Hermann is more closely related to the Russian than the Greek). In captivity, however, confined animals may be more willing to hybridize, so mixing species is generally to be avoided.

MatrixDJ

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Thank you for your help Geo and GB. You are both GREAT!! I have the info to make an educated decision now! Likely will stick with the Greeks. I do like them a lot anyways.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
As to disease transmission I have a question. I have a pair of hermann's and all be building a pen outside in the spring. My friend has a Greek and I was thinking of partitioning a section for him.

Is this a bad idea? The Greek is captive born and under a year and the hermann's are most likely wild caught about 5 yrs old.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Raymo2477 said:
As to disease transmission I have a question. I have a pair of hermann's and all be building a pen outside in the spring. My friend has a Greek and I was thinking of partitioning a section for him.

Is this a bad idea? The Greek is captive born and under a year and the hermann's are most likely wild caught about 5 yrs old.

Disease transmission between Greeks and Hermanns can be an issue, although I would be more worried about keeping more distantly-related species, which probably have the potential to introduce more exotic diseases to each other. In my opinion, the main issue with Greeks and Hermanns is hybridization.

Status
Not open for further replies.