Are these Hermans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TORTOISEHOME

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have a opportunity to pick these up. I was told they are Russians, but they do not look like Russians. I may be wrong, but they look like Hermans. Can someone verify what they are? They are 7" and 10" on the bottom of the shell.

By the way, this pic was sent to me. I love the tall water dish that they cant get into .....

Attachments

• TORTOISES.JPG
    TORTOISES.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 146

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi,
They are Greek tortoises, Testudo graeca ibera, most likely of Turkish origin :D

Danny

TORTOISEHOME

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks.

What is the average market price for these? I want to make sure I am buying them and not spending to much. Is there a common name for them that many refer to them as? I know there is Golden Greeks, Black Greeks and so on.

Thanks again.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi,
Turkish greeks might be one common name or just ibera greeks. Hard to say price. They are adults, not grown well, so that affects price. Depends male or female also. It all depends on what your willing to pay for them, ie what they are worth to you. I've seen adults recently (females) anywhere from $100 to $800 for ibera, males are usually much less, usually less than $300.

Danny

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
They're definetely Ibera greeks. Where do you see these tortoises? Price varies, depending on wc/cb, retail or wholesale, age, sex, history (if known), location, condition, etc. From the picture I could see some pyramiding, which should lower the price. But pyramiding could also mean that these Iberas are likely to be cb's, which generally more expensive than wc's.

Market price is a function of supply and demand. As Iberas are not as common as other species such as Sulcata (i.e. supply and demand are relatively lower), it is hard to determined the true market price. You could check kingsnake to get the feel of the retail price range but consider shipping cost there.

TORTOISEHOME

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
agiletorts said:
They're definetely Ibera greeks. Where do you see these tortoises? Price varies, depending on wc/cb, retail or wholesale, age, sex, history (if known), location, condition, etc. From the picture I could see some pyramiding, which should lower the price. But pyramiding could also mean that these Iberas are likely to be cb's, which generally more expensive than wc's.

Market price is a function of supply and demand. As Iberas are not as common as other species such as Sulcata (i.e. supply and demand are relatively lower), it is hard to determined the true market price. You could check kingsnake to get the feel of the retail price range but consider shipping cost there.

Well, I lost the deal. Turns out that I had to be honest with the guy and tell him that they were not Russians but where Greeks. I got a email back saying someone offered more money for them. He originally was asking $200 with setup. I was going to pick them up for that but after he learned they were worth some more money he sold them on a local website....I should have just told her they were Russians. Oh well.... Thanks everyone for you help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
MONGO said:
..I should have just told her they were Russians. Oh well.... Thanks everyone for you help.

Its always best to be an honest person. You will fell better and live longer!!

Yvonne

sushisurf13

10 Year Member!
Huntington Beach, CA
since when are russians worth more than greeks? Here in sunny socal, russians are about $80-90 bucks, greeks can range from 100-500 easily. Usually around 175.

Status
Not open for further replies.