Is this a greek?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiny-tort

5 Year Member
I drove quite a ways todayspecifically to get a Greek Tort. I keep and breed other reptiles and had done business with this particular store owner a few times buying/selling different herps but unfortunatly the owner was not able to meet me at the store as planned. Instead the store manager was there and even though he was expecting me and knew I wanted a Greek tort he didn't seem 100% positive which torts in the tank were greeks and which were hermans. I am new to torts and from what I've researched I liked the size and personality of the greeks ... I researched mostly Greek and Red Foots, I know nothing of hermans and all the hatchlings look very much alike ... can comeone please confirm for me that I did infact buy a Greek and not a Herman .. it would be much appreciated!!! I was told the Greeks had darker plastrons then the herms .. true? false?

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 80
  • belly.jpg
    belly.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 62

Dutch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
what a wonderful baby, congrats. Ok, I'm a newbie, but from what I know is that greeks are hermann's. they are, however, distinguished be western, testudo hermani robertmertensi, and eastern, testudo hermani hermani. the western hermani has a yellow spot behind the eye. I don't know if this spot is already noticeable in babies.

I just found a link, that explains it with pics.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=243

I hope that helps.

tiny-tort

5 Year Member
He/she is adorable either way and I am extremely happy with my tort but you know how a LOT of the time, especially with reptiles, what your sold isn't necessarily the morph or specifes you were told it was so I was just checking :)
There is a slight size difference between greeks and herms isn't there? My choices were either a Greek, Herman or Red Foot hatchling .... and FAR beyond my bugets was beautiful Star Torts lol

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
DEFINITELY Greek! Very cute...congrats!

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum :) Congrat's on your little greek she looks great:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi tiny-tort:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

tiny-tort

5 Year Member
My name is Michelle and I am in Ontario, Canada :) So needless to say I can't have a permanent outdoor enclosure LOL
My little tort is pretty inactive today .. hasn't eaten anything yet and has just been sleeping all day. I gave it a quick soak in very shallow water to get all the calcium powder off and stuff off and hydrate him/her a little, hope it perks up soon. It looked active enough yesterday when I picked it out and I'm sure it's stressed out. The store didn't know the hatch date, just said it was a 2011 hatchling, any guesses at aprox age?

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
It looks like it's not that old, I would say about 5/7 months,
Is the shell still flexible?

tiny-tort

5 Year Member
No it doesn't feel soft to me. And she/he was puttering around a bit today which is reassuring. She is in a exo tera tank until tomorrow, I need to rearrange my herp room to make room for my tote set-up. I attached a pic, any suggestions let me know :tort:

Attachments

• house.jpg
    house.jpg
    430.5 KB · Views: 30

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
i love his little set up, If its shell is hard it could indicate that it is a bit older.
He could be anything up to a year old, if he hasn't had the right ingredients to grow normally. :)

tiny-tort

5 Year Member
I was told he was a 2011 hatchlings I guess he can't be older then 4/5mon .. I didn't want to buy one younger then 1yr but I didn't really have a choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.