Hermanns with a potential injured leg

Seb

Location (City and/or State)
Cheshire
Hey,

Our little tort Esio is almost a year old. He's been much less active over the last 3 or 4 weeks. We've kept him hydrated with long baths, increased the temps to around 85-90F, ensured the humidity is high, fed him lots.

He's eating and pooping fine. He's happy to eat when we feed him by hand but not when we leave him to get his own food in his table. Then, this week we noticed he's not putting much weight on his left back leg. We've carefully pushed against both back legs and the left is definitely weaker. Also the leg itself feels a bit spongier than the right. He can move it and walk, so I don't think it's broken, but he's choosing not to so it must be hurting him.

We are looking to get him to the vets tomorrow but wondered if anybody here has any ideas? I hate the idea of him being in pain! This is totally new - his legs have been really strong up to now.

Thanks!

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Hey,

Our little tort Esio is almost a year old. He's been much less active over the last 3 or 4 weeks. We've kept him hydrated with long baths, increased the temps to around 85-90F, ensured the humidity is high, fed him lots.

He's eating and pooping fine. He's happy to eat when we feed him by hand but not when we leave him to get his own food in his table. Then, this week we noticed he's not putting much weight on his left back leg. We've carefully pushed against both back legs and the left is definitely weaker. Also the leg itself feels a bit spongier than the right. He can move it and walk, so I don't think it's broken, but he's choosing not to so it must be hurting him.

We are looking to get him to the vets tomorrow but wondered if anybody here has any ideas? I hate the idea of him being in pain! This is totally new - his legs have been really strong up to now.

Thanks!

It's hard to say without a video of the tortoise in action. Could possibly be a number of things from calcium deficiency, blockage, poor nutrition, nerve damage, or constipation. This is likely a long-term issue that's been going on and have now just gotten to the point where visible signs are showing. Might require a x-ray to be sure but don't quote me on that. I'm just naming possibilities.

Seb

Cheshire
It's hard to say without a video of the tortoise in action. Could possibly be a number of things from calcium deficiency, blockage, poor nutrition, nerve damage, or constipation. This is likely a long-term issue that's been going on and have now just gotten to the point where visible signs are showing. Might require a x-ray to be sure but don't quote me on that. I'm just naming possibilities.

Thanks, I'll try and get a video tomorrow. We get all our nutrition info from here and the Tortoise Table so I don't *think* it's that. He has access to a cuttlebone at all times and we use calcium powder on his food every now and then.

Could it be a blockage or constipation if he's still pooping regularly?

I'm concerned it's been going on for a while and we've only just recognised he's struggling. It's horrible seeing him like that! He's normally so active

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Thanks, I'll try and get a video tomorrow. We get all our nutrition info from here and the Tortoise Table so I don't *think* it's that. He has access to a cuttlebone at all times and we use calcium powder on his food every now and then.

Could it be a blockage or constipation if he's still pooping regularly?

I'm concerned it's been going on for a while and we've only just recognised he's struggling. It's horrible seeing him like that! He's normally so active

Just because new members have read the nutritional info on tortoise forum and tortoise table UK does not necessarily mean they're automatically doing the right thing. This is not me accusing you but rather using your words to highlight how unpredictable new owners can be without the right type of guidance.

For example as care sheet will usually name a bunch of food on the list and tortoise table UK will have a moderate to safe rating for their foods. Some members may not read too much into the reasons why some food types are moderate or what harmful properties can be associated with feeding the same type of foods that belong to the same type of family. This is some of the reasons why tortoises owners may have tortoise that develop kidney stones or gout. It's not intentional but it's also not doing their dull diligence to complete the necessary research needed to provide an actual varied diet. Again, not accusing you of anything but really using your words as a platform to create awareness for new members to look into.

1. What do you call pooping regular?
2. How often is calcium powder used per week?
3. What uv(B) sources is the tortoise receiving on a daily basis?
4. What are the temperature levels in the enclosure?

Seb

Cheshire
No, it's fine! You're right, we're new owners and we really are trying to give a good variety but the diet stuff is complicated and we are still learning. The last thing we want to do is harm our tortoise so any advice is helpful.
To answer your questions:
1. He poops almost every day. If not, at least every other day. We monitor this and if he seems to be struggling, we give him a small bit of aloe
2. Calcium powder is used 1 or 2 times a week.
3. He has a UV lamp that's on for 12 hours a day, and a heat lamp. We're in the UK so the weather and temps aren't good enough for outside at the moment. He has been out when it was nice. We're hoping by next year, when he's a bit bigger, we can build him a proper enclosure outside.
4. Temps are between 85 and 90.

Seb

Cheshire
20200908_084134.jpg
I can't seem to upload the videos but this is how he's keeping his left leg all the time. He's hardly stretching it out and when he does, he can't fully extend it

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
1. How was the vet visit?

2. And what specific type of uv(B) lamp are you using? Link or post a picture of the exact shape of the bulb and not just the fixture.

3. What is the temperature of you basking bulb? You only mentioned a temperature range of 85-90. Basking bulb for tortoise species that do use them should usually sit around 100F +/- 5F.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Also what substrate are you using? Anything that is slick especially like wood floors causes them to slip and is bad in the long term. what kind of UVB bulb are you using?