Hermann's and Russian Sharing enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathy L

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Coast of California
I know people are going to try to talk me out of this, so let me hear it. They are CB both from the same breeder. The Hermann's is a yearling and the Russian is a hatchling. The thing is - housed separatly they will be in a smaller enclosure. Housed together they have a nice big outdoor enclosure. So, tell me why this is a bad idea.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
I'm not going to say anything about the fact that they are two different kinds of torts. But the size will probably be an issue. I have two torts, both greeks, one is 2 1/2 inches and the other is only 1 inch. The bigger one stresses the smaller one so much if they are in the same enclosure that she won't eat, all she does is sleep. But now that I've separated them she's fine, eats like a pig.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I have done this. You may have to separate them later if one or both end up being aggressive males. For now, you should have no difficulties as long as there is no food hogging. A planted enclosure eliminates that issue entirely for me. My male Hermann's tortoises have had a tendency to reach early sexual maturity in as little as two to three years. When that happens, they have bothered every other size and kind of tortoise I have had and required solitary housing. If you have two females, you'll be far less likely to ever encounter a behavioral problem if raised together.

M

Maggie Cummings

Each species carries pathogens indigenous to itself. There is a chance that those pathogens could make the other species sick or even dead. Even tho they are both captive bred there is still that chance. They also require different care and eat different things. Better they each have a small area then get together and one makes the other sick. Call me old fashioned, but that's been my experience and I am simply sharing it with you. Mixing species is a bad idea.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
The Hermann is more closely related to the Russian than any other species of tortoise. Once they become adults, if your two tortoises are of opposite sex, they might hybridize.

Cathy L

5 Year Member
Central Coast of California
So I went to get my Russian hatchlings from the breeder and, lo and behold, he had them with his yearling Hermann's! Of course once they are breeding size/age I will have to figure out something else.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Cathy L said:
! Of course once they are breeding size/age I will have to figure out something else.

You may need to figure out something else long before breeding age. Bullying can start at any age.

Status
Not open for further replies.