Hermanns advice needed please

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
My friend gave me this female Testudo hermanni hercegovinensis yesterday that was found on a highway in Northern Ohio....Poor girl.....

I do not know how long shes been out in the "wild" & am wonder what to look out for or advice on what to do as I get her settled in a controlled environment.

Questions

1) What are "typical" personality traits of the Hermanns? She seems very people friendly. Not shy, but not spunky like my Russian either ( you do not get more spunky than my Martha :) Every time I have come near her tank, she comes right out & she likes her head rubbed. Very sweet temperament, just hoping it is not because of shock or something.

2) Vet apt is next Thursday - Checking for parasites & infection - Any thing else?

3) Read & Reread the care sheets. High fiber diet - Do your Hermans like grass? She is eating what I feed my russian, more broad leaf than what I give sully. The only way I can describe her eating is "clumsy" like. Looks like she has a hard time getting the food bit & is real slow about it. Her eyes seem fine, so again, wondering if its shock.

4) at 6inches, any guess on a min age? She seems old to me, but I have no clue really.

5) Shell looks pyramided - correct?

Thanks in advance & sorry this was super long. I just did not anticipate owning a Hermann!

30l1hdv.jpg

28vq3r8.jpg

Temporary Enclosure - Till I can build one this weekend
nn3dbd.jpg

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
1) Seems pretty typical of a Hermanns to me. Friendly and personable, but not in your face about it.

2) Very good idea!

3) Mine ate wheatgrass a little, but only when finely chopped and mixed in. They are a more broadleaf-based diet like a Russian. What you feed Russians is perfect for Hermanns too. Sometimes my guy eats clumsily too. As long as it's not really affecting their food intake I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep an eye on it.

4) at 6 inches it's possible she's full grown.

5) If she is pyramided, it doesn't look like much in these pics. Chris and I had discussed previously how some Hermanni had a natural "raised scute" appearance, where it wasn't perfectly smooth, but not pyramided. This seems to be the case with yours.

Good luck! :)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Thanks, she seems to really want to eat a lot, but than losses steam. I really can not believe how personable she is, makes me think she is real use to humans. I am still trying to find owners if she was "lost." I would want the same attempt if it was one of my two. If not, I am keeping her :)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Just constructed an enclosed 6x3.5 table for Hazel. She has spent the last day in it just pacing & trying to climb out. Temps are 74 hot spot is high 90's. Two hides. & plants. I will post pics in a bit but any ideas? I am wondering if it was because she was loose for awhile & may not be use to confine space? She's eating fine.

Going to start the outside enclosure soon but for now I put her out about an hr a day.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Enclosure

Attachments

• 20140524_090742.jpg
    20140524_090742.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 28

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Maybe put some sight barriers in the middle, make her think its bigger.

I would have gone bigger on the enclosure...my hermanns is not quite a year old in 4x2 and he uses every single inch, and is starting to do laps around the edges too. Maybe add a second level? People always say Russians are the active species but I don't think they give Hermanns enough credit.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
This time of year you should have her outside, dry cloche to escape to, never below 55 at night. I'm a state over from you and conditions are prime right now for hermann's tortoises! Weather permitting, Gordon Lightfoot will be playing the north lawn until October. Shell looks good, beak looks right. A real beaut! If you ever want to give her a new home...;)

I decided that I do and am in the process of writing a "free to a really good home" I want what's best for her & am thinking I cannot provide enough space for her. I have a sully & she's gonna need all the room! If your interested message me....

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
She is quite a looker.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Thank you for trying to find the old owner if there is one ? And my Hermann 's eat like a vacuumed cleaner ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1400971587.276407.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I think you might want to try to feed her outside she may feel confined in the tub . And if you don't have room I would take her

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I called the pound, humann society and am checking for a chip on Wednesday.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I think you might want to try to feed her outside she may feel confined in the tub . And if you don't have room I would take her

She eats great and is in a 6x3, do want to find her a home but am not willing to ship

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
That's ok just thought I might help
Have a great tort day :)