Hermann Tortoise Won't Eat or Bask

Maggy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Salt Lake City, Utah
Hi,
I have had my Hermanns tortoise for about 6 years now. He has had many enclosures in the past but for the last few years, he's had pretty much the same setup. About 2 months ago I changed his enclosure to a tortoise table. Before he had a sort of greenhouse-type enclosure. Ever since he has had this enclosure he is not active at all. I first thought it was that he couldn't see or feel his light come on in the morning since his hut is pretty big and the door pretty small so it blocks out a lot of that light that used to come into his smaller hut. But then I started opening up his hut every morning so that he could see that light. He began to come out and bask and all seemed to be good. The past week he has not ventured outside at all though. He won't eat even if I put the food right next to him and I don't think he has had anything to drink in weeks as far as I can see. I am trying to give him baths to keep up with this but what is going on? Is he not acclimating well to the new enclosure? Please help I'm not sure what to do. I also got this new enclosure right when it started to get cold and he is right at his maturing time. Would any of these be affecting his behavior and it just happened to be right at the moment I changed his home? How long can he survive with this behavior? Please please help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What are the temperatures? Its a lot harder to maintain the correct temps in an open table, and this is the wrong time of year to do it since its so cold. November is brumation time. Not a good time for a major housing change on a temperate species that you are trying to keep up for winter.