Leopard Tortoise won't eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortoise Rookie

5 Year Member
Hi,
I just purchased a leopard tortoise that is 10" long. (11 years old) I have had him for about a week now and he has not eaten (or if he has, such a small amount I cant detect it) I am offering mixed green salad and collard greens as well as mazuri tortoise pellets.

The room is 80 degrees and he there is a reptile UVB lamp he can bask under for warmth.

I know they are grazing tortoises so I would expect him to eat daily. Is it possible he is just not eating because of the new environment or should I be alarmed? Hes seems sleepy and is reluctant to open his eyes it seems. The eyes are not cloudy.

He might just be getting used to the new environment, but I'm also worried he might be starving. How long can they go without eating?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Tom, and welcome to the Forum!

Since the tortoise is 11 years old, he might be pretty set in his ways. Have you asked the previous owner what the tortoise is used to eating? You may have to feed him like his previous keeper did.

Also, tortoises are pretty territorial. He's stressed at being in a new territory. It may take him a couple weeks to settle in. Just keep offering food and be sure to establish a routine.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) If you are using a coil bulb, get rid of it. They can and have caused many eye problems. Also, like emysemys said. Check back with the person you got him from. Try to house it the same way, same temps, same substrate, food, etc. If it was an outdoor tort and your trying to house him inside, well that would be quite stressful.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
You got a nice big one there! A variety of mixed greens and mazuri (wetted) is a great menu for him so keep that up. When stressed like from a move, they can go a few days without eating. Make sure you keep food available. Try to feed him early in the morning and start a routine. Also make sure you have water available all the time. I'd soak him a while in warm water and see if he drinks or poops.

Don't freak out yet, mine will get into a mood and not eat for a few days sometimes. He'll eat eventually.

Also, you can try to get him to eat with some treats. mine love a few strawberries or melon pieces. Cut them up so they smell and are easy to bite. usually the smell of strawberries or wetted mazuri will get my guys running to the food plate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Try giving him a warm water soak every day for a few days and leave him alone other than that. They can go weeks without eating. Don't worry about that. I think he's most likely freaked out by the move and he'll eventually settle in.

Asking the previous owner what he was feeding is a great suggestion too.

Status
Not open for further replies.