Hermann Tortoise scale sticking out? Wounded?

Swetortoise

5 Year Member
Today when I picked up my 10 year old tortoise I noticed that a scale on his left front leg stood out, it looks like it has been peeled or ripped off and sticks out from his leg, and I can't really see if there's a wound within. It looks a bit red, almost like dried blood. I tried taking some photos of the little fella but he moves like crazy and seems pretty stressed up about it.

Should I be worried? Should I take him to the vet or is this something harmless? (I could try to get a better picture if necessary)

Help very appreciated!

IMG_1273.jpg IMG_1274.jpg IMG_1275.jpg IMG_1281.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
My rule of thumb is - is this something I would take my child or self off to the doctor for, or is it something I can use first aid on?

I don't think that's a doctor offense. I would clean it real good, then dab on some Neosporin. You might even consider pushing it back down into place and wrap a bit of tape around it to keep it down, but don't make the tape too tight.

Swetortoise

5 Year Member
My rule of thumb is - is this something I would take my child or self off to the doctor for, or is it something I can use first aid on?

I don't think that's a doctor offense. I would clean it real good, then dab on some Neosporin. You might even consider pushing it back down into place and wrap a bit of tape around it to keep it down, but don't make the tape too tight.

Thank you for the good advice. I cleaned the wound properly and put a small taped bandage on his leg. He doesn't appear to be bothered at all by it, and it's hopefully gonna heal well!