Front Leg Scale Fell Off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
So I noticed what looked like a spike/scale from Dante's front leg lying in his enclosure this week (also found one about a month ago) but I couldn't find where on his leg it fell off. I just got a macro lens for my camera and one of the first pics I took found the missing scale spot! (Towards bottom right of photo) It's hard to notice without the magnification the lens provided.

Can someone take a look and tell me if this is normal or something to be concerned about? He climbs and bumps around a LOT, so did he knock it loose or something?

Attachments

• IMG_1167.JPG
    IMG_1167.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 113

Katherine

5 Year Member
I have had many a tortoise loose a piece of leg armor and be no worse for the wear. I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. Do you house this tortoise alone or with other tortoises? Worth making sure he/she isn't being bullied if there are other tortoises around but I would not worry about the injury itself.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Wow nice pic! haha but anyway, I've had some of mine lose those as well, and it heals up fine...

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Katherine said:
I have had many a tortoise loose a piece of leg armor and be no worse for the wear. I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. Do you house this tortoise alone or with other tortoises? Worth making sure he/she isn't being bullied if there are other tortoises around but I would not worry about the injury itself.

He is my only tortoise, so I hope he isn't bullying himself! :)

Thank you both of you, I feel better!

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
I don't think it's something to be too worried about... it looks like it healed up pretty nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.