Hermann tortoise picky eater

J_1

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hi all - first time on this forum.

I got my baby hermann a couple months ago but due to lock down I only had fruit and kale to feed it for the first few days.

Fast forward 2/3 months and whilst I have those pre-packed weeds/flowers, I've noticed when I set that out, he barely touches it. The only food he seems to enjoy/like are fruit, kale and sometimes leaves (from salad pack). I don't feed him fruit often however would appreciate any advice on how to entice him to get a wider variety diet.

I'm worried I've spolit his appetite.

p.s. I've tried just feeing him the mix weeds pack but he'll barely touched it but will eat his body weight in kale.

Thanks
J

Milwaukee
Yea my box turtle is very picky but try to add some good food that your tortoise likes and mix it together with some good greens to make a fragrant aroma that your tortoise would be more attracted to. That has always worked for me and you can slowly take away the good food and your tortie should still eat the greens.

J_1

London
That's a good idea actually. Guess if I take more care in the food prep he won't immediately notice the varied vegetation.

Thanks

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Take a very small amount of the new food and cut it up into tiny pieces. Then take that and mix it into the food he will eat. Spritz some water on it so the new stuff sticks to the kale, so he can't just pick it out.

As he gets the taste of the new food, he'll start eating it and you can slowly add more of the new while cutting back on the kale.

Torts eat what they have eaten before, and won't try new stuff on their own. It can be a lengthy process, so just go slow.

And welcome to TFO!