Feeding fruit to torts

georgeandbessy

Should I feed my 13 year old Hermann tortoise fruit. He is very fussy and often stops eating for days at a time. When he does this I give him fruit to get him eating again. I just wondered if this is safe and how often I should feed him fruit. What can I feed him on a daily basis to get him to eat consistently. I don't really have many weeds where I am.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Redfoot eat fruit. Most other species should not.
It's very common for tortoises to go on mini hunger strikes when they have tasted something fantastic.
Like a kid that wants candy and won't eat his dinner.
I had this happen the first time I fed my tortoises Mazuri years ago.
For quite some time they refused to eat anything else.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Should I feed my 13 year old Hermann tortoise fruit. He is very fussy and often stops eating for days at a time. When he does this I give him fruit to get him eating again. I just wondered if this is safe and how often I should feed him fruit. What can I feed him on a daily basis to get him to eat consistently. I don't really have many weeds where I am.

You should not feed him fruit. Its not good for him.

If he is not eating, there is a problem. Maybe temperatures? Heating or lighting equipment you are using? Substrate? Hydration? Does he live alone?

What foods do you offer that he is not too keen on?

Where are you?

georgeandbessy

If he is not eating, there is a problem. Maybe temperatures? Heating or lighting equipment you are using? Substrate? Hydration? Does he live alone?

Where are you?
He lives alone, has a bath everyday, the substrate is soil pebbles, slate, and sometimes grass. I think temperature is ok. What heat would you recommend? Lightings fine. :)

georgeandbessy

Where are you?
P.s. I live in northern England.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He lives alone, has a bath everyday, the substrate is soil pebbles, slate, and sometimes grass. I think temperature is ok. What heat would you recommend? Lightings fine. :)

Soil pebbles? I'm not familiar with that. Can you post a pic for us?

Temperature is okay, and lighting is fine? Can you tell us your four temperatures and exactly what heating and lighting equipment you are using. This will help us to try and sleuth out your problem from across the pond. "Fine" and "ok" does not tell us what we need to know to help you. We need to know the actual temperatures and what type and wattage bulbs you are using. What type of UV bulb indoors? Etc...

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Anything sweet is not recommended for torts, though they love it. :rolleyes: You could offer your tort fruit every now and again as a treat.

Please post pictures of your tort as well as his enclosure.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Seems like you live in a pretty cold place. Maybe if you post the temps and conditions in your enclosure like Tom asked, we could help more! I know nothing about your species of tortoise, I only recently got 2 baby redfoots and am learning fast here!
How long have you had your 13 year old Hermann's?

georgeandbessy

Soil pebbles? I'm not familiar with that. Can you post a pic for us?

Temperature is okay, and lighting is fine? Can you tell us your four temperatures and exactly what heating and lighting equipment you are using. This will help us to try and sleuth out your problem from across the pond. "Fine" and "ok" does not tell us what we need to know to help you. We need to know the actual temperatures and what type and wattage bulbs you are using. What type of UV bulb indoors? Etc...
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1468533183.258300.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1468533205.358989.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1468533220.759278.jpg
That's the enclosure but I could only get a picture of about half of it. In the daytime if it's warm he is outside in the outdoor enclosure. I can't get a picture of that at the moment. Soil is like Earth the thing you plant plants in and what mud is made of. Pebbles are small stones. The things at the front of the enclosure. I think we speak a bit different in England. Oh and that's George the tortoise :)

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
George needs a beak trim and then he needs to be fed on a piece of slate to keep it worn down.