Hermann Tortoise Info help

Dylan Burger

Location (City and/or State)
Idaho
I have ways loved turtles, but never had the means or resources to get them. As I am finally allowed to "leave the nest" however, I am looking into finally getting a turtle, and have settled on the Eastern hermanns Tortoise! I have to wait until summer of 2016 to get the tortoise him/herself due to college restrictions, but I am going to use this time I have to properly prepare for my tortoise. I have found so much differing information online about what care to give, and want to give my tortoise the best possible life. Here are what my plans/ideas are in different categories, and would love feedback from you guys on what to do. I will be in college but have still made myself a good budget for the tortoise. Initially, I want to stay under about 700$, so focus that around your guys comments please! I'd love to go as cheap as possible of course, but will not cut money to cut my turtles comfort. If he needs it for a happy life, it will be bough and good quality.

Habitat: i want to make an indoor turtle table about 2x4 - 3x5 in dimension most likely out of plywood for the base. Will include the hiding compartment, spot for lamp, roaming area, etc

Food: I'd like to either buy from a market or home grow fresh vegetables, grasses, weeds, flowers, and anything else he can eat. I want to make sure his diet has the appropriate mineral levels, and that I am not feeding him anything remotely harmful. I don't want to buy him any pet store food as I've heard so much about it being

Lighting: I will provide lamps neccesarry to provide him basking heat, uvb rays, etc.

Substrate: I've read multiple places saying that a dirt sandixture is best. I will make the depth whatever he needs to burrow and be happy. Ideally something not too difficult to clean and maintain, but if he needs it, so be it.

Accessories: I will get him appropriate water and food dishes, foliage, possibly grow an area of Grass in the habitat? He will have places to climb, humidity and temperature gauges, and anything else he needs to stay happy in healthy!

The future: when I have a house, I will make him an outdoor habitat ad big as I can. A section of our yard will be dedicated to him. It's size will be based on our yard, but will hopefully be like 10x10 at least? That's yearsssss down the road, so just putting that out there.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Welcome to TFO :)

Lets start with the substrate. Dirt and sand is not best. Sand sticks to food, gets eaten with the food and causes impaction in the gut. Your substrate should be coco coir or orchid bark which hold the moisture and help to provide the humidity your tort will need.

I don’t know where you live, but there may be adjustments that you need to make in terms of humidity due to your local climate.

Are you planning on getting a hatchling or an older tort? The former is harder to keep as a beginner tort. The latter needs a minimum of 4'x 8' for an indoor enclosure. Hatchlings don't last in small enclosures for long, so be ready.

I suggest you read some threads here to get up to date, accurate information on keeping your tortoise"
Beginner mistakes http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
Hermann's care sheet http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

Dylan Burger

Idaho
I was planning on getting a younger tort about 3-4 inches or so. I'm going to live in Northern Idaho for the next 4 years or so, so my natural climate is going to be hot summers but cold winters. I plan on keeping the temperature and humidity artificially regulated. As he will be living in my pet friendly apartment for those years, I will keep the indoor temperature of the apartment about 68 degrees or so as that is what I like, buy will make sure to keep him warm. I want to give him as good of an area as possible, but am still limited to spacing. I'd love to make him a large table that could fill up like a quarter of my living room, I don't care, but my main concern is fitting it inside heh. Thank you on the advice! Will read those links.

Dylan Burger

Idaho
Also, with size, I'd actually like to get a baby that's a year old or so if I can maintain it as I am willing to put in the work.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Joe's mum. Sand is dangerous. In years past many people used it. Over the years we have seen all the problems it can cause. Some people have not yet seen the problems, or they don't think it will happen to them, so they continue using it and recommending it on their websites.

Large open tables are okay for adults, but babies need higher humidity levels that cannot be easily maintained in an open topped enclosure.

In addition to the above links these might offer some ideas. Care for russians and hermanni is very similar.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Dylan Burger

Idaho
Hmm...maybe it wasn't sand that I saw then. I thought it started with an s. Will check later :b. If I got a baby, about how long would it need to be in a smaller table? I'd have the ability to section off my table with dividers and remove them as he aged.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Dylan, and welcome to the Forum!

We have one of the country's foremost Hermanni people on our Forum, and he has written a care sheet that we've pinned at the top of our Hermanni section. You should be able to get all your questions answered by reading the care sheet. But if not, we're happy to help you.

I like orchid bark for substrate. I buy the one that comes in small particles. It's easy for the younger tortoises to walk on.

Dylan Burger

Idaho
Here's my ides for my turtle table. Not everything is drawn and labeled, but a good chunk is. I will check out that forum! Thanks for the tips everyone

Attachments

• 20150704_163715.jpg
    20150704_163715.jpg
    775.4 KB · Views: 10