Hermann Soaking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luckie

5 Year Member
I've had Zoe for 10 days now. I got her a bigger water dish but I never see her in it or near it even. I've never even seen her drinking water!! The last few days, I've been misting her food to make sure she gets some extra moisture...

Do your Hermann's soak on their own? Or even drink water for that matter...

My only experience is with Little Foot, my Redfoot- who would live in his water bowl... I know in the caresheet on here it says that water isn't a major staple in their natural habitat but I'm just making sure....

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
How big is your hermanns? You should soak your tort and how many times you do it depends on how big the tortoise is.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
With a new tort I'd soak daily for a good 20 minutes for at least the first month to ensure all is well.

New torts take time to settle and start eating and drinking properly. It's too easy for them to become dehydrated.

It does no harm and gets your tort used to being handled.

There's a link to my soaking tips in my sig below this post.

Luckie

5 Year Member
She's a baby.. I adopted her 10 days ago from a girl who couldn't keep her anymore. She said she had her only for "a few months".

Zoe is about 3 inches maybe...

I'll keep soaking her daily!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
At three inches, she's abit moe than baby.

If you can, post some pictures... we love pictures :) (Many people find Photobucket easier to use than the forum's own photo handler... be warned!)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Sounds like your tortoise is between 1 and 2 years old...

During the warm part of the year, my tortoises congregate to soak in the late afternoon, when the sun is low enough to cast shade on their water dish...

d9130271-6dec-4328-80c6-c0ec6814a4a3

During the cold part of the year, when they live inside the house, I soak each one daily for 20-30 minutes...you really can't overdue soaking, other than to leave them in water 24/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.