Here to learn!

MisterDobalina

Location (City and/or State)
Syracuse, NY
Hi everyone! I have been interested is getting a tortoise for quite a while and am getting closer. But I really want to get as much knowledge as possible before I get one. I'm leaning toward a Leopard, Redfoot or Greek. I'm from Syracuse, NY and would love to meet someone local that would allow me to see their setups.
Thanks! I look forward to many yeas of Tort love!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome to the forum!

I don't know how close Syracuse is to these two members, but contact them and maybe they'll let you come see their set-ups:

@GBtortoises @HermanniChris

Leonardo Dicaprio

Texas
Hey, I am new too. I already own a tortoise but sadly don't know much about his care. If you find a good thread would you mind sending me a link? I would gladly do the same for you.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Welcome to both of you! There are excellent care sheets on here for each species. Lots of reading but it will benefit you and your tortoise. Again warm welcome

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome - you're very sensible researching first to see which tort suits your circumstances.
I have a leopard in the chilly UK, he was an unclaimed found tort so we ended up with each other by accident. I wouldn't be without him now but they are quite expensive to keep because they need slightly higher temps, all year around, as well as uvb (which all torts need - via lamps if outside sun time is limited). They can also grow quite big so need a lot of space. Mine is about 4 now I think and just under 11 inches so he has his own adapted room.
Anyway read the caresheets they will help you decide and there are plenty of folk here who can help you save money on equipment so before you take the plunge and spend a fortune at a pet shop (who often recommend unsafe bulbs and dishes etc) check your shopping list here. Lots to read but worth doing it to make sure you get it right. Good luck!

MisterDobalina

Syracuse, NY
Oh wow, thank you for the message and I'm very pleased to meet you! If you think of any more information, I'd love to hear it. And do you think you could attach any pics you have of any indoor/outdoor set ups that you have?

Thank you again!