Viv or table??

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicolanoo

5 Year Member
Hi I am torn between buying a viv or keeping table, my tortoise is very inactive and can't seem to keep the heat in, the pet shop have said a viv is better than a table but im really not sure? I've read on a number of websites but they all say different things, any advice would be much appreciated :)

Thanks

nicolanoo

5 Year Member
Viv or table?

Hi I have a 1year old Russian tortoise and is currently in a table, she has become very inactive and I'm struggling to keep the heat in, the pet shop has adviced me to get a viv, I've read a number of different websites but they all say so many different things, any advice would be much appreciated :)

Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
RE: Viv or table?

I find temps and conditions MUCH easier to control in a closed chamber vs. an open topped table.

nicolanoo

5 Year Member

Thanks I've found a viv on www.tortoisecentre.co.uk I think that will be the best bet as I carnt keep the heat in? What temp should it be at the hot side? Will it explain why she has become very inactive cause she is Cold?

Thanks

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom

nicolanoo said:
Thanks I've found a viv on www.tortoisecentre.co.uk I think that will be the best bet as I carnt keep the heat in? What temp should it be at the hot side? Will it explain why she has become very inactive cause she is Cold?

Thanks

I don't know about Russian tortoises but will give you a bump so someone can answer your temp question. I find with my RF a viv is best to keep him in especially in the uk?!

nicolanoo

5 Year Member

Yeh I'm in the UK, I have ordered the viv just hope it sorts her out as she is not herself :(

Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi nicolanoo:

From your wording, I'm making the assumption that you are in the UK, and so the weather isn't good enough for year-round outdoor habitat. However, you DO have some good weather, and you really should think about setting your steppe tortoise up outside for when its not rainy. When indoors, because the steppe tortoise needs a whole lot of exercise, hence a lot of room, a table is much better and cheaper than a great big viv. The steppe tortoise is pretty cold hardy, and usually gets along quite ok in a table that is room temperature...as long as there's a place for him to bask under the light. So you position your light over one end of the table, and that end should be around 100F directly under the light, fading to about 80F on one end, and room temperature on the other end.

What are your temps?

nicolanoo

5 Year Member
Yes I'm in the uk , I put her outside every opportunity I get, her behaviour Is changing rapidly trying to escape? The temps are 30c on hot side and 20c cold side? Is this ok??

Snowywood

5 Year Member
Eastbourne
The breeder I bought my four western hermann sisters off, has Rusian Tortoises, very interesting tortoises! But he keeps his in a tortoise table. Has no problems and been kept like that for years. But he does live in the south. Are you north or south of the uk? Am in the throws of re-building my tortoise table, as after seeing my mom vet and had the same chat, I give up and am combining a tortoise table and a viv. Its the only way I can make up my mind lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.