Home's hingeback eggs

hingeback

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Malaysia
Hi everybody, got a new hingeback last week. I did not know she had eggs, yesterday she laid one and today she laid another. Now I am burying them in a tub for 4 weeks.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1448294051.774584.jpg
After that I should incubate them? How should I setup for the incubation? Help please?

GRohr

Here is a thread that @Tom made that will help out some. I don't have any knowledge on Home's Hingebacks so hopefully someone that has will chip in. The things you need to think about is the diapause period, then the incubation temperature and humidity. Another thing to look into is the vermiculite to water ratio that people use for incubating. Also, don't rotate the eggs, a lot of people say they mark the top with an X so if they move them they know what is the top of the egg. I never pick up or move my eggs so I never marked any of mine.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

Good luck!

Reactions: Tom

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Here is a thread that @Tom made that will help out some. I don't have any knowledge on Home's Hingebacks so hopefully someone that has will chip in. The things you need to think about is the diapause period, then the incubation temperature and humidity. Another thing to look into is the vermiculite to water ratio that people use for incubating. Also, don't rotate the eggs, a lot of people say they mark the top with an X so if they move them they know what is the top of the egg. I never pick up or move my eggs so I never marked any of mine.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

Good luck!
Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know the specifics for hinge backs. @Jacqui keep those. I'll bet she will have specific tips for you, or know who does.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I don't know the specifics for hinge backs. @Jacqui keep those. I'll bet she will have specific tips for you, or know who does.
Hi Tom. On the breeders list there is a breeder for homes hingebacks named Benjamin. Do you know which Benjamin it is. I
Hi everybody, got a new hingeback last week. I did not know she had eggs, yesterday she laid one and today she laid another. Now I am burying them in a tub for 4 weeks.View attachment 156561
After that I should incubate them? How should I setup for the incubation? Help please?
Hi everybody, got a new hingeback last week. I did not know she had eggs, yesterday she laid one and today she laid another. Now I am burying them in a tub for 4 weeks.View attachment 156561
Found this guy on breeders list. Hope he can shed some light on incubation techniques.
@Benjamin.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi Tom. On the breeders list there is a breeder for homes hingebacks named Benjamin. Do you know which Benjamin it is. I

Found this guy on breeders list. Hope he can shed some light on incubation techniques.
@Benjamin.
As you can see from above I had trouble finding that out. Sorry @Tom.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi.
I'll tell you what I was told to do from a very well respected Tortoise breeder on here.
All mine turned out to be duds and I failed.
The procedure is.
4 to 6 weeks in diapause at room temperature.
Then at 28 to 29°c with a very high humidity level. %90+.
Put the eggs on vermiculite with spagnhum moss around them.
Incubation time is 3 to 4 months I believe.
Vermiculite soaked with water of the same volume in weight.
Good luck.

If anyone else gives you proven methods, ignore what I said.

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Hi.
I'll tell you what I was told to do from a very well respected Tortoise breeder on here.
The procedure is.
Good luck.

Thank you. How do I make an incubator?

GRohr

Hi.
The procedure is.
Good luck.

Just so there is no confusion, you meant vermiculite mixed with water in a 1 to 1 ratio in weight, not volume. So mix 1 pound of vermiculite with 1 pound of water. Just wanted to check on that Anyfoot.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Just so there is no confusion, you meant vermiculite mixed with water in a 1 to 1 ratio in weight, not volume. So mix 1 pound of vermiculite with 1 pound of water. Just wanted to check on that Anyfoot.
Yes, this is what I have been told to do.

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Hi, I just went to farm in a city. They put the eggs in the second incubator. They said that they use normal sand, do not need to put anything to heat it up. They say that 2-3 out of 4 will hatch. Wonder if it works in Malaysia.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1448602871.744087.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1448602974.078675.jpg
Baby redfoot
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1448602998.278516.jpg
Baby elongated.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi, I just went to farm in a city. They put the eggs in the second incubator. They said that they use normal sand, do not need to put anything to heat it up. They say that 2-3 out of 4 will hatch. Wonder if it works in Malaysia.View attachment 156919View attachment 156920
Baby redfoot
View attachment 156921
Baby elongated.
If I was you I would make something up to incubate your eggs. If they hatch they hatch, if they don't there will always be another chance later. Save ya money to get your enclosure correct. Your tort is more important than your eggs IMO. :D

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Nice. Put it in your diapause box. You need to write the date down again. You can do it on paper or on the egg in pencil very lightly.
Yup, I got the time for the first two. I did not see her laying her third.

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Yes you will need a lid to keep good control if temp and humidity.
How are you going to heat it?
Also make sure you run it and get things right before you put your eggs in. It could take a few days to level out to the correct temps.
Ok, the one on top is the heater.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1449050137.835100.jpg
Do I need holes on the lid or keep it completely sealed?