Help with new Turtle have some questions

Brannon

Location (City and/or State)
United States
Hello all, I'm happy to have found this forum! My son was given a turtle (I believe it is an Eastern Box Turtle, a male) we named him Spike. I am not sure how old Spike is. The person that gave us the turtle didn't give me a lot of info and so I've tried to do my research.
We live in Hawaii. Spike is in a 50 gallon Rubbermaid bin. The substrate is eco earth that I mist down 2-3 times a day. He has a water bowl to soak in, a cuttle bone, food dish and a log to hide in. I do have a bulb and lamp for him. 40 watt for day and a red bulb for night time. I have a thermometer and humidity gauge in his habitat. The humidity stays around 70-80%. Temp was going between 70 (at night without any heat source) to 85 degrees during the day if I used the 40 watt bulb (It has UVB or UVA, can't remember which). I did more research and it sounds like I am overheating him!!
He has only eaten 3 times since we got him almost 2 weeks ago. A peeled grape (which was gone and I couldn't find any sign of it so I assume he ate it, a few bites of strawberry and some beef baby food. He seems to want to stay in one area of his enclosure and had not been going in his water.
So I soaked him today for an hour in tepid water then put him back in his enclosure in front of his food (a cut up strawberry and a peeled grape). He still hasn't eaten and as I have been gone today I couldn't monitor him. It looks as though he went in his water bowl and dug a lot in his eco earth. I have only had the red bulb on him today for about 30 minutes while he soaked.
The person who gave him to us said she lets her turtles go outside for 2-3 hours in a play pen. When I try to put him out in a bin he doesn't seem happy and looks stressed and tries to climb out. She also said to feed him dog food. I did try that but he wouldn't eat it. I have tried the following thing during his first week with us which he wouldn't eat: Crickets, boiled chicken, chicken dog food canned (Merrick), kiwi, banana, spinach, romaine lettuce, commercial turtle pellets and dried shrimp.
I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I was hoping he was just stressed due to moving houses. I read today that I should soak him daily (possibly in a electrolyte solution??), I should keep him more moist and less hot. Do I even need the lamp since the temp here is 80 degrees plus most days and 65 degrees at night?
Also any ideas on what type of turtle Spike is? I appreciate all help and I want to do the best I can for this cutie pie!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Welcome to TFO. The best website for the most honest and best care of your tortoises and turtles.
I have no experience with turtles but I will tag one of the ladies who I know also has a turtle and if she cannot help you she will definitely be able to point you in the right direction for who can. @Moozillion

Good Luck

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I believe that is a three toed box turtle , I've never seen a healthy one refuse a nightcrawler , worms ...... berries , squash , sweet potatoes , soaked fish or turtle pellets , if he was eating dog food , you need to know what kind , it'll make a difference ....... if you have a small garden ? a sunny outdoor enclosure will make it really easy to keep that guy healthy and long lived , given a properly placed/designed enclosure , he will never need to be brought inside , you won't need to worry about substrate , lighting or heating ..........

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
I got a three toed a couple years ago. When I got him, the only thing he was being fed was dog food. Well, it took a while but now she eats about anything I put in there. It should start eating when it’s hungry, may take some time. Just keep offering the good foods, you have to be more stubborn then they are. It is probably still adjusting to the new people and surrounding. From what I seen in your pics, the substrate looks quite dry. Maybe try to moisten it up a bit. Pour water in it and mix it up with your hands. We have a box turtle section here on the forum. Go there and read, you will get plenty info. Ask any questions, I will leave it up to the more experienced owners to answer. Good luck and welcome. That is a beautiful turtle you have!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome. That' looks like a male three toed box turtle (Terrapene carolina triunguis), and the container you have him in is way too small. Add some leaf litter for him to hide in, and a plant saucer of water that he can fit into. Try offering live, wiggly food, like Mark1 said.

The reason for the light is so the animal can get the UVB he requires in order for the calcium to work inside his body. Also, I've never heard of a UVB light that's only 40 watts. This makes me think you're using the newer curly shaped bulbs. Those really aren't much good at providing UVB. A fluorescent tube works much better, and then you can use a regular 60 or 100 watt incandescent bulb to simulate the sun so he has a place to sit and get his body warmer than the ambient temperature of the room.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
By reading your post, it sounds to me that you are using a 40 heat bulb, but not providing uvb at all. He will need a long tube flourescent 5.0 uvb bulb. Temperature in the day can range from low 70s on the cool end to about 90 under the heat bulb. How are you measuring temperatures? You also want to add fake plants, long fibre sphagnum, or leaf litter to make him feel more comfortable.

ETA: you need to get an infrared temp gun for taking temps. What is the ambient temperature in your home? Also he's stressed outdoors possibly due to the sun. Box turtles like dappled sunlight.

Brannon

United States
I believe that is a three toed box turtle , I've never seen a healthy one refuse a nightcrawler , worms ...... berries , squash , sweet potatoes , soaked fish or turtle pellets , if he was eating dog food , you need to know what kind , it'll make a difference ....... if you have a small garden ? a sunny outdoor enclosure will make it really easy to keep that guy healthy and long lived , given a properly placed/designed enclosure , he will never need to be brought inside , you won't need to worry about substrate , lighting or heating ..........

Hello, thanks for your reply! He has four toes on his back feet, is it possible for a three toed box turtle to have four on their back feet? I have a bit of a problem acquiring any sort of night crawlers or worms. (I also have a Tiger Salamander) Here on our island there isn't a store that sells night crawlers or worms. I have looked everywhere. I also have tried finding them in the ground myself but pesticides are used on lawns here and I don't want to hurt my salamander or turtle. I do have a raised garden bed that I no longer use for gardening. I fear it might be too small for him and would probably need to add taller sides. I will ask the lady that had him before what dog food she gave him. She is the one that told me he was an eastern box turtle also. She keeps her turtles inside a classroom. I am attaching a photo of the raised garden bed.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    834 KB · Views: 15

Brannon

United States
I got a three toed a couple years ago. When I got him, the only thing he was being fed was dog food. Well, it took a while but now she eats about anything I put in there. It should start eating when it’s hungry, may take some time. Just keep offering the good foods, you have to be more stubborn then they are. It is probably still adjusting to the new people and surrounding. From what I seen in your pics, the substrate looks quite dry. Maybe try to moisten it up a bit. Pour water in it and mix it up with your hands. We have a box turtle section here on the forum. Go there and read, you will get plenty info. Ask any questions, I will leave it up to the more experienced owners to answer. Good luck and welcome. That is a beautiful turtle you have!

Thank you so much! I will moisten his Eco earth like I do for my tiger salamander.

Brannon

United States
Hi, and welcome. That' looks like a male three toed box turtle (Terrapene carolina triunguis), and the container you have him in is way too small. Add some leaf litter for him to hide in, and a plant saucer of water that he can fit into. Try offering live, wiggly food, like Mark1 said.

The reason for the light is so the animal can get the UVB he requires in order for the calcium to work inside his body. Also, I've never heard of a UVB light that's only 40 watts. This makes me think you're using the newer curly shaped bulbs. Those really aren't much good at providing UVB. A fluorescent tube works much better, and then you can use a regular 60 or 100 watt incandescent bulb to simulate the sun so he has a place to sit and get his body warmer than the ambient temperature of the room.

Thank you for your help! He has four toes on his back feet, is it still possible for him to be a three toed box turtle with four toes on his back feet? I am willing to move him outside of the enclosure I have already will work. It's an old raised garden bed. I can modify it a bit. I checked the bulb I use and I was wrong, its a 75 watt zoo med repti basking spot lamp. It has uva also not uvb. I am not able to get night crawlers or worms here on our island. They aren't sold anywhere. I have tried to dig for them myself but pesticides are used very heavily here. I can provide crickets, do you think that would work? I am so appreciative of your help, I just want him to be happy and healthy.

Brannon

United States
By reading your post, it sounds to me that you are using a 40 heat bulb, but not providing uvb at all. He will need a long tube flourescent 5.0 uvb bulb. Temperature in the day can range from low 70s on the cool end to about 90 under the heat bulb. How are you measuring temperatures? You also want to add fake plants, long fibre sphagnum, or leaf litter to make him feel more comfortable.

ETA: you need to get an infrared temp gun for taking temps. What is the ambient temperature in your home? Also he's stressed outdoors possibly due to the sun. Box turtles like dappled sunlight.
Hello, thanks for your help! I have a zoo med 75w repti basking bulb with uva not uvb. I have a stick on thermometer but will look for the temp gun you suggested. What type of fake plants (or real) sphagnum moss is the dry stuff I can find in petco right? I live in Hawaii so resources are limited here. The temp in our house at the moment is about 80 degrees and can get up to 100 degrees in the warmer months (it's miserable).

Brannon

United States

Is the infrared temp gun one from lowes or Home Depot or does it have to be from a pet store?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Hello, thanks for your reply! He has four toes on his back feet, is it possible for a three toed box turtle to have four on their back feet? I have a bit of a problem acquiring any sort of night crawlers or worms. (I also have a Tiger Salamander) Here on our island there isn't a store that sells night crawlers or worms. I have looked everywhere. I also have tried finding them in the ground myself but pesticides are used on lawns here and I don't want to hurt my salamander or turtle. I do have a raised garden bed that I no longer use for gardening. I fear it might be too small for him and would probably need to add taller sides. I will ask the lady that had him before what dog food she gave him. She is the one that told me he was an eastern box turtle also. She keeps her turtles inside a classroom. I am attaching a photo of the raised garden bed.
yes they can have 4 toes ......... the small raised garden you have I cannot tell the size , i'm sure 4 foot by 4 foot would be more square feet than the tub he's kept in now , an inside height of 2 times his length would be sufficient . with a lid or overhang 1 1/2 times his length would be sufficient ...... at 4x4 you should be able to use a 48" chainlink driveway gate as a lid or a regular 48" gate and a permanent portion to cover the remainder ...... pinkie mice should suffice if you can't get worms , you may need to start out with live ......... outdoors is so much easier , I hate having to bring anything in for the winter , and I often do , so I know how much harder it is .......

rbt9_03.jpg

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Hello, thanks for your help! I have a zoo med 75w repti basking bulb with uva not uvb. I have a stick on thermometer but will look for the temp gun you suggested. What type of fake plants (or real) sphagnum moss is the dry stuff I can find in petco right? I live in Hawaii so resources are limited here. The temp in our house at the moment is about 80 degrees and can get up to 100 degrees in the warmer months (it's miserable).
If the thermostat in your house says your house is over 80 degrees do not use that 75 watt heat bulb. Just get him a uvb floirescent.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Thank you for your help! He has four toes on his back feet, is it still possible for him to be a three toed box turtle with four toes on his back feet? I am willing to move him outside of the enclosure I have already will work. It's an old raised garden bed. I can modify it a bit. I checked the bulb I use and I was wrong, its a 75 watt zoo med repti basking spot lamp. It has uva also not uvb. I am not able to get night crawlers or worms here on our island. They aren't sold anywhere. I have tried to dig for them myself but pesticides are used very heavily here. I can provide crickets, do you think that would work? I am so appreciative of your help, I just want him to be happy and healthy.
I have a 3 toed/gulf coast integrate and your turtle reminds me of her and her parents. Mine has 4 toes on back feet and is huge for a box turtle.

Brannon

United States
Well as it turns out, this turtle came from a backyard that had a small pond and several Habba huts to hide in. No wonder this poor guy is so unhappy

Brannon

United States
yes they can have 4 toes ......... the small raised garden you have I cannot tell the size , i'm sure 4 foot by 4 foot would be more square feet than the tub he's kept in now , an inside height of 2 times his length would be sufficient . with a lid or overhang 1 1/2 times his length would be sufficient ...... at 4x4 you should be able to use a 48" chainlink driveway gate as a lid or a regular 48" gate and a permanent portion to cover the remainder ...... pinkie mice should suffice if you can't get worms , you may need to start out with live ......... outdoors is so much easier , I hate having to bring anything in for the winter , and I often do , so I know how much harder it is .......

rbt9_03.jpg
So now that I've found out he was previously an outside turtle, which plants should I put in his enclosure and what substrate?

Brannon

United States
If the thermostat in your house says your house is over 80 degrees do not use that 75 watt heat bulb. Just get him a uvb floirescent.
If I put him outside, he won't need anything at night correct? Temps range between 66-75 at night here outside.