Help with new Turtle have some questions

mark1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ohio
So now that I've found out he was previously an outside turtle, which plants should I put in his enclosure and what substrate?
if plants can grow in it and he can dig in it , i'd think whatever dirt is there would be a good enough substrate ..... as far as plants , i'd say some kind of grass that grows in clumps and won't get so big as to overtake the entire enclosure , in my case it's weeds , but there are some small ornamental grasses .... turtles like these like to make depressions at the base of these clumps of grass and it's where they'll spend the nights ........

DSCF3053.jpg

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
I only found the Eco earth so I will try that. I'm hoping to build it tomorrow then I will share a picture.

Hello Brannon, yes the Eco Earth is fine. If you are going to plant live plants in the enclosure then I would recommend mixing peat moss or top soil in with the Eco Earth.

Brannon

United States
Hello Brannon, yes the Eco Earth is fine. If you are going to plant live plants in the enclosure then I would recommend mixing peat moss or top soil in with the Eco Earth.
Thank you, I haven't had much luck finding top soil or peat moss here. I will try a local garden shop tomorrow.