Help we are going on a long 9 hr drive

Crush da Baum

Location (City and/or State)
Brooksville
I do agree with @Tom but I still think it does serve a purpose. I do not know about others but I feel like when you bring your animal on vacation you start to care a little more about it creating a bond. Maybe not mutual but it is exciting. If someone cares more about their tort, chances are they will give him a better life. Torts are also supposed to live longer in the wild and constantly hiding and anticipating predators is probably pretty stressful for the tort, I think more than a car ride.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I do agree with @Tom but I still think it does serve a purpose. I do not know about others but I feel like when you bring your animal on vacation you start to care a little more about it creating a bond. Maybe not mutual but it is exciting. If someone cares more about their tort, chances are they will give him a better life. Torts are also supposed to live longer in the wild and constantly hiding and anticipating predators is probably pretty stressful for the tort, I think more than a car ride.

Oh Lordy...don't even get me started about having a bond...1587569783156.png

JMM

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I understand your dilemma--it's not easy finding someone who is willing to come daily to feed and soak a tort and I also worry a bit about leaving lights unattended for more than a day. So, if I am going to be away for awhile and am driving to my destination, I bring my tort. She seems to tolerate it just fine. I have a soft carrier for her that I line with towels for the trip. I also use a couple Snuggle Safes for heat--they stay warm for about 10 hours--look them up on Amazon. I also bring a smaller tub for her with bedding and her lights for her destination. Overall, I think she is less stressed coming with me, than being left alone--she eats when she is with me, whereas it usually takes several days before she'll eat for someone else even if she remains in our home.

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
No i dont think anyone can
We have traveled all over Nevada for years with our tort. She is in a pet carrier on her favorite blanket when car is in motion. We carry a cooler just for her food and her bowls. We stop ALOT for breaks, exploring, etc. She walks on a leash and seems to like exploring nature with us.

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
well...as usual, my reply goes against what everyone else is telling you.
I moved to Oregon 15 years ago from California. My family is still in Calif and my sister and I did tortoise business together...it's a 12 hour trip to her if I do the speed limit...anyway...my point is that I have made a bazillion road trips with cats, birds and tortoises...for the torts I had a wooden box with a lid that latched...when closed it was all dark...I'd put a couple of towels in for the comfort against the wood(lol), and I could set my watch...15 minutes into the trip, they WILL poop, take a roll of paper towels and some plastic bags, a warming non light for direct heat if I stop at a motel, otherwise, I'd look in at a gas stop to make sure whoever in there was alive. But I never thought about stress at all...I brought 3 turtles and a tortoise back from Texas...traveling the same way...in dark boxes asleep. When I stopped at night I would give each a warm soak and offer food...I'd also put a warm light or CHE on them all night...I rented a work van once, one without anything in the back and the metal floor, to haul a 150 lb Sulcata from Seattle to Yvonne in Clovis...his keepers supplied his food, a 25 lb bag of carrots..I opened the bag and threw a bunch on the floor...he slid on that floor but I never thought too much about it...stress...lol...it was nothing to bring 20 Sulcata hatchlings back to Oregon...in dark cardboard boxes on paper towels...did put those Hot Hands in for small tort or turtles.
I'm kinda trying to say maybe, that yes, chelonia husbandry has changed a whole whole lot since those days...my point??? We or I never... not ever...not once killed any turtle or tortoise I hauled that way... oh I sometimes had to take my own with me...to show off to Yvonne and because I felt they were safer with me then with my son...they got used to it...they are wild animals...you think lions weren't stressful??? Just sayin...
I knew there was a reason I like Maggie. She’s nuts just like me!!!!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Every forum on the internet is like this. Go to a star wars forum and dare say you like the recent movies and a war will break out. Call Billie Eillish overrated sludge on reddit and angsty GenZers will crucify you. There are all sorts of "button pushing" issues that each community deals with, and every community also has its "white knights" or outspoken voices. It's just a byproduct of human interaction. Overall, this community is one of the better ones I've seen. Yes, some people don't sugarcoat their opinions, but also with this community there is the fact that a living being's life is on the line most of the time. Nothing dies if you say you like Rise of Skywalker. People come on here asking why the tortoise they bought at a garage sale that lives in a shoe box in the basement is acting funny. It's understandable to take the direct response. Thankfully, I've never seen any of the outspoken members take personal shots at the poor husbandry skills of others. They will say harsh comments about the shoe box, but I've never seen "You idiot! Get that tortoise out of a shoebox!"

Sure, lots of people will take that personally, but that's on them. The internet isn't safe for sensitive people. They should stick to cat videos on youtube.

I agree, however that sometimes people do push their opinion for too long. Most times it's just fine to state your opinion & supporting circumstantial evidence, and move on. Let the other readers make the judgement on who they want to believe. There have been zero hardcore opinions changed on an internet forum.

Well, frankly, I thought the sentence about cat videos on YouTube was offensive....

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
It’s better to leave them home where they have heat lamps and uvb and comfortable places to do their thing. Do you have your lights on timers? Do you have a friend or neighbor who could feed him daily?

And what if there's a failure? The thermostat sticks with the heat on? Would you go off and leave your child behind with no proper care?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If the tortoise lives in an enclosure that is portable, then I see no reason you couldn't move the whole enclosure into the car, then into wherever you're going, then back into the car and home. The tortoise probably wouldn't realize his enclosure had been moved as long as you keep it the same and don't take him out of the enclosure. If the tortoise is not living in an enclosure that you can carry with you, then I'd hire a neighbor to look after it while you're gone.

L

LasTortugasNinja

Well, frankly, I thought the sentence about cat videos on YouTube was offensive....

Yeah? Well, the internet is full of offenses. It's how people deal with it that matters. Some shrug it off and realize that the internet is the most impersonal communication format invented. Others take it so personally that they rage quit, whine to moderators, or act like they've been violated in the most horrendous ways imaginable. It's impossible to please everyone. Even showing the queen's etiquette will have someone's undies in a bunch because they'll read the politeness as condescension or sarcasm. The internet is what it is. Everyone here has pissed off someone else on the internet with a comment. It's just what it is.

Oh, and if you don't like cat videos, replace cat with puppies, or yawning turtles, or baby monkeys, or whatever you find cute. Point is, humanity has ALWAYS offended each other to various degrees, and it's ridiculous to get offended about a post on the internet by a random person. Life is too short to focus on shallow perceived slights.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah? Well, the internet is full of offenses. It's how people deal with it that matters. Some shrug it off and realize that the internet is the most impersonal communication format invented. Others take it so personally that they rage quit, whine to moderators, or act like they've been violated in the most horrendous ways imaginable. It's impossible to please everyone. Even showing the queen's etiquette will have someone's undies in a bunch because they'll read the politeness as condescension or sarcasm. The internet is what it is. Everyone here has pissed off someone else on the internet with a comment. It's just what it is.

Oh, and if you don't like cat videos, replace cat with puppies, or yawning turtles, or baby monkeys, or whatever you find cute. Point is, humanity has ALWAYS offended each other to various degrees, and it's ridiculous to get offended about a post on the internet by a random person. Life is too short to focus on shallow perceived slights.
relax, that's just Maggie's weird sense of humor.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

Oh holy crap!!! I can't believe that anybody here could possibly think that I personally would find anything written here as offensive....heck, I was just trying for a joke that failed....I'm offensive for cryin out loud...lol

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Oh holy crap!!! I can't believe that anybody here could possibly think that I personally would find anything written here as offensive....heck, I was just trying for a joke that failed....I'm offensive for cryin out loud...lol
I do find u very offensive and dangerous

L

LasTortugasNinja

Oh, no problem... In the short time I've been here, I've noticed @maggie18fan is a quirky one. I figured her comment was "tongue in cheek". I'm at fault for not adding a ;) in my response to her comment.

I just used her comment to add a little more context to my previous statement, since I'm sure at some point there will be someone who has a breakdown because they took "feed your tortoise weeds and fix your humidity" as "You stupid idiot! You are killing your tortoise because you are too stupid to be breathing! If I didn't live in ______ I'd be at your house with the police seizing your pets and committing you to an asylum! Oxygen is wasted on you!".

I used to be a mod of a few hobby forums years ago and retired quickly due to the sheer number of the "unwashed butthurt masses" that were flagging me to avenge their honor because they took something wrong. Anytime I can help people understand that the internet will never be free of strife, I take it, just to help make mods' lives easier. LOL

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Oh, no problem... In the short time I've been here, I've noticed @maggie18fan is a quirky one. I figured her comment was "tongue in cheek". I'm at fault for not adding a ;) in my response to her comment.

I just used her comment to add a little more context to my previous statement, since I'm sure at some point there will be someone who has a breakdown because they took "feed your tortoise weeds and fix your humidity" as "You stupid idiot! You are killing your tortoise because you are too stupid to be breathing! If I didn't live in ______ I'd be at your house with the police seizing your pets and committing you to an asylum! Oxygen is wasted on you!".

I used to be a mod of a few hobby forums years ago and retired quickly due to the sheer number of the "unwashed butthurt masses" that were flagging me to avenge their honor because they took something wrong. Anytime I can help people understand that the internet will never be free of strife, I take it, just to help make mods' lives easier. LOL

There are times when I actually try to give good advice...I do have years of experience, but I have a 'borderline personality' and little filter between my brain and my mouth...so I have to be careful on how I word stuff...I do come across badly often...most people want stuff sugar coated...so what good is giving advice my way to someone who will either leave the Forum, or get mad at how I phrase things... just sayin...oh and I think that many years ago I was a moderator here...but I'm sure Josh thought he was getting another Yvonne in me...NOT!!! I don't think I lasted long...