taking tortoises in the car???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Ok so our plans have changed and we are driving from ohio to florida for vacation at our villa. the drive would be around 20-22 hours and we will be there for three weeks. I dont trust anyone to really take care of them for three weeks and its rlly hard to find someone to take care of them properly for that long. So i was seeing if i could get a tuberware and put their bedding in it and put both torts in their for the ride down and same goes for the ride back. we drive straight down, no stopping in hotels. would this be too stressful?!! would it be ok??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your Russians should do just fine. If you think they might get cold, you can buy some of those hand warmers. The only brand I know is called Hot Hands.

Julz

5 Year Member
Ohio
would i just put the handwarmers under the bedding?

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I have taken my adult sulcata(tony) with me to Fla by car.. I brought a power inverter.. And I plug in a electric blanket and cover the dog crate with it.. And if I let him walk around in the back of the truck.. He can dig into the blanket also....

steven

5 Year Member
I have taken my 5mo Sulcata on a 13 hour trip when I went skiing. Just make sure you have arrangements while you are there, and you should be good, the temperature in the car was warm enough for him.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
Over the holidays I took our little Hermann's on a road trip to my parents and he did just fine. I took him in a tote with some bedding, his hidey log and his lighting. We had him in the back of our SUV and the sun and car heaters kept his tote at 80 degrees the whole trip.

M

Maggie Cummings

Get a good cardboard box and line it with newspapers, put in your tortoises and close the lid. if you think they are getting cold put in the Hot Hands, but if you keep them in the car they should stay warm enough. Don't forget to bring a light to keep them warm while you are there...

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Agreed, they should be fine. Just monitor temperatures (a digital thermometer with the probe inside the tortoises' tote works great), and be prepared with hand warmers if things get too cold (not a big worry with Russians, anyway).

When my family moved down to Utah a little over a year ago, we made the move with 3 bearded dragons and a corn snake (plus 2 dogs, which was its own hassle... lol). Not quite tortoises, but still the same concerns with traveling. 12 hours driving, not counting the overnight at a hotel and lots of rest stops, which stretched it out to over 30 hours. It could've been planned a LOT better (for example... Ice packs, because it turned out the PNW wasn't the only area going through a heat wave, and a bungee cord around the snake tub before we left), but, other than the snake escaping in the first hour (showed up the next afternoon, thank god), everyone made it with no problems.

Russians are pretty tough. Tougher than my beardies, I'd bet. So, I'm sure, if you take the right precautions, they'll make the trip with no problems at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.