Help!!! TORTYAte a rock

Status
Not open for further replies.

izzy2208

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
illinois
My russian tortoise, Torty, ate a small rock thats about half an inch. What should i do? I gave him some food and he ate it. I also soaked him, he urinated and pooped alot... He's playful and happy still. Will he be ok?

tortyluvr

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes he should be fine just keep an eye on him and don't let him eat any more not to say you let him eat this one . Reptiles eat rocks all the time mostly alligators and bigger turtles to help break down the food and to aid in digestion. But it can cause an impacting in his gut and kill him if he eats too many . so warm soaks and food hopefully it will pass.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Just soak him more frequently and he should be able to pass it.

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I's also address the reason he ate it. Is he getting enough calcium? Cuttle bone available? Does he touch the cuttle bone?

You might need to order some MinerAll. Seems to help curtail the rock eating most of the time.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hay Tom whats mineral and where do you get it ?

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
It's a powdered supplement, Miner-all. You can google it.
They make versions for inside or outside torts.
I adopted a couple of Russians from poor conditions. At first one of them constantly ate gravel. It was hard to stop her and keep her outside.
After a couple of years of seasonal sun, cuttlebone and a varied diet, she no longer shows interest in gravel.
Miner-all can be lightly sprinkled on food to help maintain and restore nutrients, so can help with this craving (although I didn't use it).

Still, eating the occasional pebble may be more curiosity than a nutritional craving and won't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.