Help (tortoise is whistling)

Trisha0023

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Il
I just built I new enclosure. And ralphie is whistling now. Is this a normal thing? I'm starting to think that I need an extra light because it's bigger? I got a 100w to get more heat. Is this too much? I'm no expert. But with the help of this site I always get it done. Please take a look at the pic and tell me what to do. Don't mind the tin foil. Waiting for the o the plexus glass to be cut. He also just hides now.

15092158417251126353114.jpg 1509215913184722133483.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We need to know what the temps actually are.
That's a small enclosure. Good really only for hatchlings. Hard to tell from the pic of him in the hide, but he looks much bigger then a hatchling. Knock out the one end and add about another four feet to the box.

Trisha0023

5 Year Member
Il
Temp under light is 95. Sides of the light are 80. Other side is 70. Should I move to 75w. I've researched all day. Websites say all Differant things. This is an old cupboard.i actually can't build anything. Why don't they sell these somewhere? I know I sound helpless. But when it comes to any tool I am. This is 3.5×3.5. Adding 4ft. I don t even know how to start. Is there something I can use that's already done.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just built I new enclosure. And ralphie is whistling now. Is this a normal thing?
No.

I got a 100w to get more heat. Is this too much?
Only your thermometer can answer this. Once we know the species we are talking about we can offer the correct temperature suggestions.

We are happy to help. Keep asking your questions.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is this a sulcata or red foot? 70 is a bit low. Is this only a winter enclosure and where do you live, state?
As for enclosure, a four year old tortoise needs a lot bigger enclosure. The size you have is good for hatchling size up to maybe a year, two tops.
If you have a spare room or basement, a greenhouse makes an easy and cheap enclosure. Look for ones in the picture below that are like the three at the top of the pic. I bought one for 50 bucks and is a 10x12. Put a tarp under it to protect floor and add a portable space heater on a thermostat and one uvb bulb and your good for heat and space.
If you live where it's mostly warm in winter, then a heat shed or night box may be all you will need to let him roam a fenced yard.
IMG_2610.PNG

Trisha0023

5 Year Member
Il
He is 4 years old. Red foot. When I got him they also sold me a tortiose box and told me her be good for 4 years. Just moved him to the bigger one. I'm in northern Illinois so outside isn't an option. I'm confused how to make a green house into an enclosure. Is there a website to explain This?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
personally i'd worry about the whistling more than the container , too small of a container won't kill him , a respiratory infection will ......... I'd cover the top a little more , keep it warm , humid and clean ..... if no spot is under 80 he couldn't sit in a cold spot , 95-100 is a good hotspot ...... keep it pretty humid ....... a water dish he can sit in , in a spot where the water stays warm ............. I've kept redfoots outside from june to near October at 41.5 degrees north , as long as they have a place to get hot they do fine ....... it's 39 degrees here right now , I just brought in 8 pulcherima manni for the winter , they have been out since june , they range within 10-14 degrees of the equator ..... sometimes an ill turtle won't feel good , they'll sit in to cold of a spot , they'll get lethargic and not move , making matters worse ........

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
He is 4 years old. Red foot. When I got him they also sold me a tortiose box and told me her be good for 4 years. Just moved him to the bigger one. I'm in northern Illinois so outside isn't an option. I'm confused how to make a green house into an enclosure. Is there a website to explain This?

A redfoot is a tropical forest species. They don’t like bright light.

They do not bask, they need constant steady warmth 24/7 and UVB only.

This means having a closed chamber with damp substrate and a Ceramic Heat Emitter being used with a thermostat. The CHE gives off heat, but no light.

As they don’t bask, and don’t like bright light, you should not have a basking lamp or Mercury Vapour Bulb (MVB).

Use a 5.0 tube UVB lamp to provide light and UVB. Don’t use a compact bulb which may harm your tort’s eyes.

I agree the enclosure is too small.

This is a really good guide to care that we frequently recommend
http://tortoiselibrary.com/species-information-2/chelonoidis/

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i'd think the basking opinion is not an exclusive behavior , maybe it's an origin thing ? from what I remember , when they needed to warm up they'd seek the sun ....... they bask like eastern box turtles in and near cover , I would agree they do prefer lots of cover , mine especially liked the day lilies , the edges in the sun was a popular spot ....... all chelonian need the sun , I believe they all are diurnal ? their lives revolve around the sun , seasonal and dawn to dark ....... I would go with a bright spot and lots of cover .... as long as you have cover , I doubt you could have to much light , the more different lights you got , the more likely you'll have a wider spectrum ........ I doubt too bright would be a problem , you'll never match the natural daylight bright they normally live in outdoors ... jmo