HELP!!! The Bugs are getting out of hand!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crystal2807

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
I have a 4x4 foot enclosure with cypress mulch and coir/moss in the hides. Lily is a redfoot so I have a humidifier running and spray her enclosure 2-3 times daily. It has become a breeding ground for bugs. I didn't mind a few bugs and at first and they didn't seem to bother Lily, but latley they have taken over and they are all over Lily, she won't go into her hide anymore because they are really bad in there. I am sure they are springtails, small grey/brownish nat size hopping things. I can't get a good picture as they're to tiny. I have read that they will not harm her, but the sheer numbers of bugs are out of control at this point, they are moving out of the enclosure to the rest of the room also. How do I safely control their population? Lily is getting her own room in about two weeks and I don't want the whole house to get infested. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Do "rolly polly" bugs really eat them, what else would prey on springtails? Would it be better to use a different substrate? Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You will get them with any substrate. I would replace the substrate with new. However, bake or boil the new stuff before using. I have tried everything to get them not to come. The last time, I baked the coir. Now all I am fighting is crickets. But some how they keep getting out of the red eyed tree frogs enclosure and having babies in the tort enclosure. Free food for the frogs, but OMG, they breed like rabbits. Thankfully they stay in the torts enclosure and not all over my house. Anyone know what will eat crickets, that can live with my tort? Don't say spider, I hate spiders.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
wellington said:
You will get them with any substrate. I would replace the substrate with new. However, bake or boil the new stuff before using. I have tried everything to get them not to come. The last time, I baked the coir. Now all I am fighting is crickets. But some how they keep getting out of the red eyed tree frogs enclosure and having babies in the tort enclosure. Free food for the frogs, but OMG, they breed like rabbits. Thankfully they stay in the torts enclosure and not all over my house. Anyone know what will eat crickets, that can live with my tort? Don't say spider, I hate spiders.

Lizards?

pemry3

5 Year Member
I had a cricket escape, it lived behind the fridge. It grew wings and would never stop chirping. One night it made a mistake by leaving the fridge and venturing off. The cat found it, played with it and then killed it. Thank goodness, I was a little tired of hearing crickets 24/7.

So my recommendation: cats. But not all are trained to snipe crickets, but the ones who are, are keepers. Lol

But other than that I usually try to physically capture them, but i Must say they are cunning little insects.

Good luck.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
If you keep your substrate a little less wet, the bug population will decrease. I have a deep bio-active substrate in my enclosure. The maximum bug population was when I first set it up, before adding earthworms and roly-polys, and before all the substrate had become a living soil. At this point, I still have the same bugs, but in far smaller numbers.

Crystal2807

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Thanks for the information, can you get roly-polys on-line? I would get a house gecko to help with the crickets.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes you can buy roly's on line. I can't remember where I seen them, but just put a search in. I don't think I can keep a lizard in the enclosure, as it is opened to my living room. Thanks for the help though. I guess I will just keep catching them or changing the substrate until they are gone. I think I might finally have it where they can't get out of the frogs anymore, I hope.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
You can buy roly-polies (sow bugs) online. Carolina Pet supply has them listed on their web site. Free is better, though, so first try to find them in your own yard. They like to hang out under leaf litter. If you look in a sun-warmed, sheltered area on your warmest day, you just might find some. I started with a dozen or so added to each of two tubs. They're hiding really well in one of my tubs, but I just looked under the feeding stone in my other tub and saw dozens of small roly-polies. Success!

bogart20

5 Year Member
You can bake the substrate if its still good, also boil and I personally did it with my microwave in a big bowl

Really Rollie pollies eat those bugs?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.