Getting rid of bugs

mini_max

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
I have little tiny bugs scuttling all over inside Max's indoor enclosure. I've read other posts and I know they aren't harmful. I like to think I'm really diligent about getting poop and unused food out, but nonetheless they are alive and well. Probably there is a stash of burried poop somewhere...ugh, time to go on a "treasure" hunt.

Anyhow, I find them bothersome as now I don't feel comfortable bringing his food dish in the kitchen the kitchen to load it because sometimes they're in there.

Yvonne, i remember seeing a post somewhere in which you said you used something for bugs. I'm sure it was probably for an outdoor enclosure, but I can't find it now.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I lightly spray with Orange Guard. You can visibly see the spring tails jumping to get away from it. I have found, though, that it's much easier to just dump the whole thing and start over. I clean out the enclosure, let it sit in the sun all day, then spray the empty enclosure with Orange Guard, then add the substrate, etc.

I have noticed that the highest concentration of springtails is under the food when I clean their food dish each morning, so that tells me I need to keep the old food picked up better.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
We just built this enclosure a few months ago, and I was hoping not to have to dump it, plus I've got plants growing in it. I'm going to try clearing out the top few inches of substrate and putting earth and orange stuff....and be more clean with things if possible.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I sometimes pour boiling water over my substrate. Keeps the bugs down but its a never ending battle...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Make sure it is labelled as food grade.
I've had mixed results using it externally. Such as in my pens. But Very happy with it mixed in food for parasitic prevention.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
Yes food grade. Purchased when I thought we had the dreaded b bugs, but it turned out to be a flea that got into my clothes from a neighborhood cat. Dark humiliating times I tell ya. Honestly, who gets fleas?!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I don't worry about bugs in my kitchen, but given the possibility of salmonella, I treat the tortoise dishes the same way I treat raw meat or chicken. Hand washing, sink scouring afterwards, no splashing. I do put their glazed food dishes in the dishwasher. I don't put unglazed plant saucers in.