Bugs in enclosure

seadogrun

Location (City and/or State)
Pompano Beach, FL
My year old redfoot is in a closed enclosure. I notices some small bugs crawling on his shell and this worries me. I don't know what kind of bugs they are. Should I be worried about this or is this normal. If it is bad, how would you get rid of the bugs?

seadogrun

Pompano Beach, FL
I ended up replacing the substrate and cleaning everything. It seems to have solved the problem, but sorry no pictures now that they are gone.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I bet they will be back. A nice warm, moist enclosure sprinkled with crumbs of tasty food with few other predators is the perfect environment for fruit flies or springtails, etc. it’s best to kind of deal with thst fact, keep your enclosure tidy, food extras picked up, and possibly add natural “carnivores” like pill bugs. BTW, neither fruit flies or springtails will hurt your tort.

Good luck.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Hay bee nice pill bugs are the bomb! I barely have to do any maintenance to my outdoor enclosure with my cleanup army

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Pillbugs, earthworms, and earwigs are all good for reducing the population of springtails and similar nuisances. :)