Getting rid of springtails...

Whayla

I have just found out that I have springtails in my RedFoot tortoise indoor enclosure. I know that these bugs will not harm my tortoise or its home, but I was wondering what I can do to keep the pest problem to a minimum? Are there any bugs that can help with the springtails, that could also be beneficial to my tortoise as well if she found one every once in awhile?
I know that springtails live in moist conditions and they probably adore my tortoise table which has a humidifier and gets misted down twice a day.. I don't want to kill the humidity, because I believe in the benefits of humidity for my baby girl.
Do any of you experienced tortoise owners have stories, tips, or any other input on springtails?
All information is welcomed and appreciated.
Thank you!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Springtails are actually a benefit to help create a healthy substrate....if you are wanting to reduce their population you can add pill bugs ----they will help to reduce the overall springtail population..you can also add some earthworms for healthy substrate...and they are an added hunting adventure for the tort.....

Whayla

Springtails are actually a benefit to help create a healthy substrate....if you are wanting to reduce their population you can add pill bugs ----they will help to reduce the overall springtail population..you can also add some earthworms for healthy substrate...and they are an added hunting adventure for the tort.....
Thank you for this useful information, Ascott. I will try to find some worms and pill bugs for the enclosure. I am sure Tortuga will just adore that; and natural fun too!