Help (stays in corner)

Laguna

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
My Laguna is having issues. I got her a couple months ago from someone who did not want her anymore. I'm guessing she is 1-2 years old. I have her in a tortoise house by zoo med. I put two of the together so it is 2x6'. I have tubular UVB light and a UVA basking light. I've been soaking her 2-3 times a week trying to "wake" her up. I live in Ohio and it's December. Light cycles 14 on 10 off. Cool end of enclosure 68-70 degrees. She just keeps going to cool side of cage, digging hole and sleeps. She has not eaten in going on three weeks. I'm guessing g she's trying to hibernate. Do I need to try to keep her on the warm end of the cage? Should I force her to be under lights? She keeps going to her dark end.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We're in the dark here. What exactly is a "Laguna"?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Don't let the night temps drop so low and see if that helps. Right now my Russian lives in a 80 degree shed with a basking light. The temps are on thermostat so stays same temp day and night. He still buries himself most of the time and will come out every couple days to eat or when I get him out. It's so far has been a consistant I have notice every winter a couple times a winter where he just slows down no mater what I do. However, I keep everything up and lights on longer to try and keep him up.

Laguna

5 Year Member
Ohio
Don't let the night temps drop so low and see if that helps. Right now my Russian lives in a 80 degree shed with a basking light. The temps are on thermostat so stays same temp day and night. He still buries himself most of the time and will come out every couple days to eat or when I get him out. It's so far has been a consistant I have notice every winter a couple times a winter where he just slows down no mater what I do. However, I keep everything up and lights on longer to try and keep him up.
What's the best way to do that? Ceramic bulb?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, a ceramic heat emitter or two
Normally they don't need it that warm. Usually 68 or so is fine for a night temp for them. However, in the winter, in the cold areas, I think it's too cold and making them want to sleep the winter away.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Laguna.:)
Around this time of year, many of the Greek species including Russians will be trying to hibernate.
You are right keeping the lights on for 14 hours, but up the temperatures for a while, to convince the little one it's still summer, and offer tasty treats you might not ordinarily feed in order to get the appetite back. After a week or two, she should return to normal.

Laguna

5 Year Member
Ohio
Around this time of year, many of the Greek species including Russians will be trying to hibernate.
You are right keeping the lights on for 14 hours, but up the temperatures for a while, to convince the little one it's still summer, and offer tasty treats you might not ordinarily feed in order to get the appetite back. After a week or two, she should return to normal.
Thanks for your help! How about nail trims? Done the same way as dogs? Ok to use styptic powder if one bleeds?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thanks for your help! How about nail trims? Done the same way as dogs? Ok to use styptic powder if one bleeds?
Just take care and only trim a tiny bit and then wait a few days before trimming the next. bit.
I doubt he needs it, though.
Any chance of a photo ?

Laguna

5 Year Member
Ohio
Update. Just soaked her in tub. Thought I'd try feeding her green beans as that is all the last owner fed her. I know they are not good to feed tortoises. She ate like a pig!!!!! And then pooped out water and urates. Guess I need to try mixing in foods that are better for her to get her aquainted to other foods

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Update. Just soaked her in tub. Thought I'd try feeding her green beans as that is all the last owner fed her. I know they are not good to feed tortoises. She ate like a pig!!!!! And then pooped out water and urates. Guess I need to try mixing in foods that are better for her to get her aquainted to other foods
Yes, once she's got back into the habit of eating and believes it is still summer, she should be fed good healthy food.