Red footed tortoise normal behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

surfbug

5 Year Member
I just got a red footed tortoise that is 6-7 inches long. I got her from a pet store. At the pet store she was the most active. I have her in a roughly 4 foot by 2 foot enclosure and have a heat lamp with UVB and UVA on one side w rocks and a hiding place on the other side. I am using a cypress and sphagnum moss. She likes the cypress more. She hasnt eaten much and is sleeping in her burrow most of the time. We have a humidifier in the room going most of he time. She is really active outside and I take her out twice a day. She doesn't eat more than a few prices of food no matter if she is inside or out. I'm just wondering why she is not active inside her cage. How much should she be eating? I give her kale with squash and carrots. She has fresh water everyday. Her eyes are not watery when humidifier is going. I want to make sure she is healthy and getting enough to eat. How often do they sleep and how much should she be eating?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi surfbug:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

I don't know much about redfoot tortoises, so I'll just give you some general information.

Usually a tortoise is active outside because they are out of their comfort zone. What looks like normal activity to us, is really a scared tortoise trying to find a good hiding place.

It sometimes takes up to a couple weeks for a tortoise to become comfortable in their new home. Please take a look at the Tortoise Library

There are many good articles there about redfoot tortoises and you will learn what to feed your new tortoise and how to set it up.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Yvonne is dead on this one. I agree that when they are outside, they are just looking for a place to hide. Larger space, so they travel further. Inside they can kind of see their boundaries...so, into the hide they go.

Give it a few weeks and I am sure you will get it to move around and eat without problem. It is getting used to you and it's new surroundings..just as you are trying to get used to it.

Good luck, The Tortoise Library is a good place to visit for advice on all omnivores.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
surfbug said:
I just got a red footed tortoise that is 6-7 inches long. I got her from a pet store. At the pet store she was the most active. I have her in a roughly 4 foot by 2 foot enclosure and have a heat lamp with UVB and UVA on one side w rocks and a hiding place on the other side. I am using a cypress and sphagnum moss. She likes the cypress more. She hasnt eaten much and is sleeping in her burrow most of the time. We have a humidifier in the room going most of he time. She is really active outside and I take her out twice a day. She doesn't eat more than a few prices of food no matter if she is inside or out. I'm just wondering why she is not active inside her cage. How much should she be eating? I give her kale with squash and carrots. She has fresh water everyday. Her eyes are not watery when humidifier is going. I want to make sure she is healthy and getting enough to eat. How often do they sleep and how much should she be eating?

You could also try some fruit

UmakeMegiggle247

5 Year Member
I have a redfoot, he/she (not big enough to really tell yet, I am betting it will be a girl) is active when I take him/her out, but not too active. When I have him/her in him/her terrarium, she doesn't move that much, she will walk around, go to her waterbowl and eat just fine. She basks most of the time with her little back legs sticking out hahaha! Redfoots are omnivores, so give them protein once a week, no more than that, and about the size of their head. they will eat chicken (cook it), earthworms, shrimp....etc... I give mine chicken, I get this organic catfood tortoises LOVE, but only the chicken kind, the brand is called AVODERM. when feeding them, variety is best... Mine wont eat as much if I feed her the same three different things everyday for a week, she will eat a lot if I feed her those three different things for up to 4 days. so like, have two different things to feed for 3 or 4 days, then switch to 2 different things, then switch back, or switch to something else. I have a good link on getting an idea of their diet...

go to both of these links I give you, they are very informative, it is good to look at different sources and put things together.

so there is redfoottortoise.com and then click on "diet"

and the other website is...

http://premiumtortoises.com/redfoot.aspx ......scroll down to diet, it is very important to know how often to fee what... both these sites give you an idea on what protein to give them. like this site I posted second tells you just what food they eat, and why not to feed them iceburg lettuce!!!!!!!!!
Like just feeding them vegies everyday for a while can give them diarrhea.... and can lead to thyroid problems... most fruits you feed them on occasion... just read these informative websites and you will learn a lot, they have helped me a lot.

and btw, they don't mention on how much to feed them, what I do, and what I have seen advised from others is just put food in there (I like to do it on a small flat plate so it doesnt get mixed in with the bedding) and whatever is left over take out... I got used to how much mine eats, she is about 4-5 inches long... i will give her or five 2" by 2" pieces of lettuce for example and she eats it all, if I give her kale (it not her favorite, but she will eat a little bit, she loves romaine the best) she will leave the stems of the kale leaves behind and just eat the rest of the leaves... thats fine, just pull those out when your tortoise is done. I feed her kale mixed with other veggies so she will eat it. I feed her kale twice a week, otherwise she wont eat it. It is important to make sure they get enough calcium, so it is good to feed them cuttlebone (as you will see on redfoottortoise.com) Ya so I give mine a mixed salad everyday that is a little different everyday so eating doesn't get boring.

oh and btw again... when I feed mine protein, I give her a protein meal the size of her head (recommended) and a salad on the side (I put it all on a flat small plate.) hope this all helps!!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Assuming the temps are OK (82-85ish overall), then the most likely thing is the stress from the big move. This is pretty normal for a few days to a week.

When checking temps, remember that humidity can affect them as well- the mist from the humidifier may be chilling things off more than you realize.

Status
Not open for further replies.