Help sick tortoise!

udontnojakki

5 Year Member
Hey everyone,

So I am having a crazy time here with my Russian tortoise! I noticed he has not been eating much or at all for the past maybe 2 weeks ish. At first I though it was because he was starting hibernation but now I clearly know that is not the case. I noticed he was opening his mouth and couldn't close it all the way. I then investigated to make sure it wasn't mouth rot or something. I found a big mass of food stuck in his mouth/throat. I did my best to remove it with a plastic tweezers. I then concluded maybe he just ate to much at once and would get better. Few days go by and he is not any better. So I give him an electrolyte bath to restore fluids and I notice more food stuck in his throat. I looked in his mouth to investigate, pulled out some food mass, then saw a massive white thing down in his throat. After much toil, I removed what I later confirmed to be a piece of cuttle cone, about the size of dime. I thought for sure this was what was causing him trouble, but it has been two days and he has not successfully eaten yet. He has shown interest in food, taken a few bites, then kinda spits it back out again after chewing a little bit. He is also making weird sounds and moving his head back and forth like he is struggling to get food down. I have an appointment with the vet tomorrow (this was the earliest I could get). I think maybe there is another piece stuck down farther in his throat than I can see. Will the vet be able to see that by xray? Has anyone xray their tortoise? If so do you remember how much it cost? I mean I love my tortoise and can afford 100-200$ if need be but if this is going to be a lot more than that I won't be able to do it. Please don't judge but I have to get surgery in a few weeks myself and can't really afford much right now. Please let me know if you have any advice or experience with something like this. Thanks,

Jakki

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I think the vet visit is required. The vet will have specialized tools the can break up the chunk of cuttlebone.

Good luck.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree the vet may be able to see into his mouth without xrays. Just let the vet know, after an exam, that if more then a matter of pulling the food out is required, that you would need a payment plan.
Also, I would try feeding only food that is very finely chopped or mushed for a while. It may just be very sore and raw because of the cuttle being in there so long and making him sore.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Where are you located? I might be able to find help. I'm a vet tech, and I have veterinarians and tech friends in a few areas that I might be able to ask for help.

-------
Sandy
Oregon-Washington Tortoise Rescue

Mo the Sulcata (4.8 lbs)
Oliver the Sulcata (50 lbs)
Larry the Jordanian Greek
Curly the Eastern Hermanni
....baby Sulcata Franklin on the way!
Lola the Basenji
Dexter the Basenji
John the boyfriend stuck in Kansas...so I get more tortoises!

udontnojakki

5 Year Member
I'm in San Diego. I'm going to see a special vet tomorrow recommended by the San Diego Turtle and Tortoise Society. I really hope he can help me. I am worried the little guy might not make it. I gave another bath tonight with electrolytes and carrot baby food. I hope it is an easy fix! Thanks,

Jakki

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So do we, hope it's an easy fix for the both of you. Really hope all turns out good and please let us know.

udontnojakki

5 Year Member
So I took her to the doc yesterday and it turns out she has a laceration at the back of the tongue that has left her tongue paralyzed. This cut was probably from swallowing the cuttle bone chip. Anyways, doc says it will be hard for her to swallow food because tortoises use their tongue to push food back. The doctor had never seen this type of injury before and was unsure if it would heal. So our options are kind of limited at this point. The doc says he could put a feeding tube in her but hes not sure how long he could keep it in there and it would bring my vet bill to over 500$. Another option is to watch her for a few days and see if she can get any food down or help her by pushing food down past her tongue if possible. Anyways, I have decided to watch her and help her eat if possible because she still seems very strong at this point and is showing interest in food. I just hope she can heal well. Thanks again,

Jakki

udontnojakki

5 Year Member
She has recovered everyone! Took her a few days but it seems like she has recovered tounge movement and is now eating at a good rate. Thanks for the help everyone.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Yay!!! It would kill me to see my guys in pain and maybe dying. Great news!!

WillTort2

5 Year Member
The mouth area for torts is probably one of the quickest areas to heal. Possibly due to greater blood flow.

So glad to hear of the recovery.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Thank you for sharing this with everyone. I think I will grate and sprinkle that cuttlebone for now on, to be safe. Or make it a lump of powder in a terra cotta they can eat freely from. Very happy that your little one recovered from the experience. Yay! : )

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Yay! I love happy endings [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]