Should I be Worried??

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas City, MO
This morning, my baby sulcata got a piece of stem from some of his romaine stuck in his throat. He was EXTREMELY agitated for about 15 minutes (swinging head back and forth, streching his neck, swiping at his mouth with his paws and opening and closing his mouth). I could see it lodged in there, but he couldn't get it down. Finally (when I was about to pack up and head to the vet) he regurgitated the stem. I've been watching him closely all day. He eventually went back to his walking around and even ate a little more. All day, however, he's been stretching his neck out like this. He usually only does this when he drinks, but after the "choking" episode, he's been doing this all day (instead of burrowing in on the ground like he usually does). I took this photo after he had been holding this pose for over 15 minutes. It looks like he's sleeping (and maybe he is and maybe this is perfectly normal and maybe I'm having a crazy panicky mommy episode for no reason), but any experienced thoughts are welcome. Should I be worried?

P.S. I'll be double checking to make sure no more stems make their way into his food dish!

Attachments

• IMG_0059.JPG
    IMG_0059.JPG
    502.1 KB · Views: 30

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't have experience with sick torts, but I have never seen a pic of one like that. I would stay worried, but just keep a close eye on him. He may be doing that, because his throat may hurt and this may be a relief for him. Hopefully @Yvonne G has further advice. I would also for the next week or until he seems totally normal, chop all food up very fine and be sure to have it damp, not dry. Making it a little easier to do done, and probably feel a little better wet then dry.

Kansas City, MO
Thanks. I will definitely watch him closely and cut up and soften his food for the next few days. He finally brought his head back down and appears to be more peaceful (but still half way in his dish instead of his normal burrow).

I have to say, I haven't been this unsure of my mommy skills since the day I brought our first child home from the hospital. Hopefully this too will get easier with time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17