Hatchling box turtle with meal worm in throat

Gray Chilton

Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Tx
I have a hatching three toed box turtle. Tonight when I was feeding him mealworms he couldn’t swallow one of them. He was struggling and started gasping so I pulled a piece of it off. It has been an hour and I can still see it in the back of his throat. He is acting normal besides opening his mouth very wide then closing it again. What should I do? Will he end up swallowing it or should I take him to a vet?

Kasia

Poland
Can you reach for the rest? Tortoise are greedy when it comes to food. And something similar happend to my 30+ year old russian whit a carrot treat.I suggest next time slice it on smaller pieces so the little one doesn't get anything stuck.

Gray Chilton

Houston, Tx
Can you reach for the rest? Tortoise are greedy when it comes to food. And something similar happend to my 30+ year old russian whit a carrot treat.I suggest next time slice it on smaller pieces so the little one doesn't get anything stuck.
I stayed up with him all night and he ended up swallowing the rest. He is active and showing no signs of anything being wrong. I guess I was just being overprotective. Thank you so much!