Help. (shell look ok??)

Jamie5times

Location (City and/or State)
Methuen
Does my Russian tortoise look healthy, I’m new to this turtle thing. 50 gallon tank 90 on one side 74 80 on the cool end I have a fogger to use when I want, not all the times as needed. I mistcage only on the cool side. I wish I knew if it was male or female. Does the shell look good it does fray a little in the back near her back legs, I just want to know if it’s normal. Thanks everyone!

A47C982E-70CE-41A3-A378-8927186A8985.jpeg 9A22F389-C31C-42BD-93BA-D7D3E3AFE6A8.jpeg 884D7A52-B608-492C-80D1-C126B15FEBE4.jpeg 0D8CF0E9-E82B-4F6B-B9C4-6C1A2CBF5FA6.jpeg

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
Lol you got a little Russian. They all look like they been put through something ruff.
I personally think it looks just fine. You can always put some coconut oil on to help.

You do not want to bathe the poor thing in it. Just a soft rag, and a little buffing.

Btw I love you tank. Someone is bound to tell you the water dish is a flipping hazard tho... And to you wet down the substrate a little more.

Most people use a terra cotta plant dish for water, and I use a watering can and just add water till my substrate is moist.

But... it's beautiful!!! And I'm kinda jealous and feeling slack on my end. Lol one of my hides is a cardboard box!

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
From the angle of the last photo, the tail appears to be short and stubby, which is female. She'll grow up to 8-10" in size and will need more space soon (8×4 tortoise table, at least).

Shell looks fine. That lighter line across the back is new growth. You can take a soft toothbrush and gently brush her shell during soaks to keep it clean and healthy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome. Tortoise's shell looks fine and from what I can see of the tail, looks female. While you've made a beautiful enclosure for the tortoise, there 's not much room in there for her to walk around. Tortoises do a lot of walking in order to help their digestive tract keep things moving. Be thinking of setting this tortoise up in a large outdoor yard.

Jamie5times

Methuen
Oh thank you so much I feel relieved I’m glad I like my tank means a lot just want my little tort to feel at home lol I will send a pic of it tail side around 5ish when I get out of work it eaternstandard time on my end
Lol you got a little Russian. They all look like they been put through something ruff.
I personally think it looks just fine. You can always put some coconut oil on to help.

You do not want to bathe the poor thing in it. Just a soft rag, and a little buffing.

Btw I love you tank. Someone is bound to tell you the water dish is a flipping hazard tho... And to you wet down the substrate a little more.

Most people use a terra cotta plant dish for water, and I use a watering can and just add water till my substrate is moist.

But... it's beautiful!!! And I'm kinda jealous and feeling slack on my end. Lol one of my hides is a cardboard box!
go
To have someone tell you male or female we need a picture of the bottom side of the tail [emoji173]
you

Jamie5times

Methuen
Thanks so much I’m so new to this in my other post above do you think the shell looks good it grays a bit on the back anything to worry about

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
James: You've asked this question a few times now and been told by several people that the tortoise looks fine. I guess that answer is too general for you, so I'll give a direct answer: The shell near the back legs looks totally normal to me. Nothing to worry about.

Jamie5times

Methuen
James: You've asked this question a few times now and been told by several people that the tortoise looks fine. I guess that answer is too general for you, so I'll give a direct answer: The shell near the back legs looks totally normal to me. Nothing to worry about.
Ty I just worry a lot sometimes I need to be told more than once sry that my ocd lol but I wanted to get many points of view so I could defiantly say that it’s good no vet needed, I just want to make sure he’s ok I’m new to the tort world

Jamie5times

Methuen
To have someone tell you male or female we need a picture of the bottom side of the tail [emoji173]
I bought the sunny field extra virgin oil and put it on her shell her name is Betsy and I’m Jamie by the way ty u for ur help I appreciated it here is the pic u wanted to see after I did it

Attachments

• 904D1FD6-416C-4CC8-8456-4A9B4C433A2C.jpeg
    904D1FD6-416C-4CC8-8456-4A9B4C433A2C.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 25
  • E1BA0241-DB6A-429C-9A40-4301F33DDFAD.jpeg
    E1BA0241-DB6A-429C-9A40-4301F33DDFAD.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 26
  • 7989E144-7375-4F4A-B48B-B6C8E4F98912.jpeg
    7989E144-7375-4F4A-B48B-B6C8E4F98912.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 23