Does my 8 month olds shall look okay ?

BABYBAKER5555

Location (City and/or State)
Stratford upon Avon
Barrie is 8 months old bit on the scrawny side but does his shell look okay?

Attachments

• 20240305_143546.jpg
    20240305_143546.jpg
    842.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240305_143604.jpg
    20240305_143604.jpg
    617.3 KB · Views: 4

zovick

10 Year Member!
Barrie is 8 months old bit on the scrawny side but does his shell look okay?
It looks OK from the overhead views you posted, but to be really certain, you should post profile/side views of the shell so we can tell if it is beginning to pyramid or not.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a very pretty shell. What do you feed your baby? I feed mine fillaree, clover, dandelion, chickweed, purselane, lambs quarter, mulberry leaves, and anything else I can find growing outside. I chop these into bite-sized pieces then sprinkle dried greens I buy at kapidolofarms.com over the top. I give my babies enough so they have something left on their feeding tile to munch on all day long. If it's gone during the day I didn't feed enough. None of my babies ever look "scrawny."

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
As zovic previously said,, but do I see a chunk missing behind the head to the right,, or is the camera? Looks broken to me..just saying
I think I am seeing what you said too.

Reactions: myk

zovick

10 Year Member!
As others have noted, it looks as though the right first and second marginal scutes have been bitten/chewed by an animal of some kind. Do you know what happened or did you get it that way? The right front leg appears injured as well because some of the scales appear to be missing. Have you noticed that?

Also the tortoise is beginning to become pyramided. You will need to put it into a totally closed chamber and follow the husbandry recommendations made (on this site only) to prevent it from becoming worse.

Last edited:

BABYBAKER5555

Stratford upon Avon
As others have noted, it looks as though the right first and second marginal scutes have been bitten/chewed by an animal of some kind. Do you know what happened or did you get it that way? The right front leg appears injured as well because some of the scales appear to be missing. Have you noticed that?

Also the tortoise is beginning to become pyramided. You will need to put it into a totally closed chamber and follow the husbandry recommendations made (on this site only) to prevent it from becoming worse.
Yes unfortunately my dog got hold of him when I was at work but my other half caught her just in time he has been checked over by weird creatures in Banbury. I have a basking lamp and a uvb light, I feed him a shell of food a day and bathe him near enough one a day for 20 mins

BABYBAKER5555

Stratford upon Avon
That's a very pretty shell. What do you feed your baby? I feed mine fillaree, clover, dandelion, chickweed, purselane, lambs quarter, mulberry leaves, and anything else I can find growing outside. I chop these into bite-sized pieces then sprinkle dried greens I buy at kapidolofarms.com over the top. I give my babies enough so they have something left on their feeding tile to munch on all day long. If it's gone during the day I didn't feed enough. None of my babies ever look "scrawny."
Weeds that I pick every Sunday so plantain, sow thistle, red valerian, dandelion leaves and lambs lettuce a bit of pak choi and romaine lettuce leaves sometimes calcium on 2 days a week and mix in a but of tortoise food that swells up in water

myk

London ontario
Yes unfortunately my dog got hold of him when I was at work but my other half caught her just in time he has been checked over by weird creatures in Banbury. I have a basking lamp and a uvb light, I feed him a shell of food a day and bathe him near enough one a day for 20 mins
Weird creatures?lol

BABYBAKER5555

Stratford upon Avon

I think it may be the humidity.. I had it at 30% because I was told they will get shell rot 🥺 I have now just now at 12.42 in the morning uk time turned his whole tort table around I have added a pint and half of water and water and mixed with a trowel.. I did unfortunately wake him up but he just looked at me like the cutest look he has ever given me . Its sign. The humidity is now 90% 😫 I love him so much I just want the best care.. I got him off my friend originally only had him for coming up 2 months ❤️ 🐢
Thankyou!

BABYBAKER5555

Stratford upon Avon
I feed him a handful in the morning and a few nibbles of lambs lettuce at dinner

zovick

10 Year Member!
Is there any damage to the bottom shell, such as a puncture wound into the stomach area? This tortoise may be in shock for a few days and not act entirely normal. How long have you had it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I feed him a handful in the morning and a few nibbles of lambs lettuce at dinner
Give him a big pile in the morning. Enough that should last him the day. He should be able to eat off and on all day. If he has an appropriate size enclosure he can't over eat and get fat. If the enclosure is too small then that needs to be changed.
Also do not use mercury vapor bulbs, halogen bulbs or any coil bulbs. The first two will cause pyramiding and the coil can hurt their eyes.
An adult will need a 4x8 foot enclosure. A 2 or 3 x4 foot for hatchlings up to about 2 years is good.

BABYBAKER5555

Stratford upon Avon
His tortoise table he is fine at the bottom just a tinnie nick but not penetrative

Attachments

• 20240306_082933.jpg
    20240306_082933.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 20240306_082940.jpg
    20240306_082940.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5

BABYBAKER5555

Stratford upon Avon
Is there any damage to the bottom shell, such as a puncture wound into the stomach area? This tortoise may be in shock for a few days and not act entirely normal. How long have you had it?
This was a month ago he seems to love being held by me and petted on his head

BABYBAKER5555

Stratford upon Avon
Give him a big pile in the morning. Enough that should last him the day. He should be able to eat off and on all day. If he has an appropriate size enclosure he can't over eat and get fat. If the enclosure is too small then that needs to be changed.
Also do not use mercury vapor bulbs, halogen bulbs or any coil bulbs. The first two will cause pyramiding and the coil can hurt their eyes.
An adult will need a 4x8 foot enclosure. A 2 or 3 x4 foot for hatchlings up to about 2 years is good.
I have a 75w basking bulb

BABYBAKER5555

Stratford upon Avon
When our Holly had him unfortunately he lost 4 edges around his shell at the front but the reptile vet glued a piece on Tiny part and gave him injection and I gave him one 2 Mondays ago that the full extent.. he seems happier now it has been a month and as you can see I am very protective with him and show him love ❤️

Attachments

• 20240306_100455.jpg
    20240306_100455.jpg
    708.6 KB · Views: 5