Does his shell look okay?

StephandTay

Location (City and/or State)
Lodi, WI
upload_2016-10-2_20-3-49.jpeg This is Tiny, does his shell look okay? We just got him yesterday and I am not sure. I read someone on here saying they put coconut oil on their Russians shell. Does that help? I do have some. What is pyramiding? I am going to get something different for his enclosure tomorrow. The old owners had that sandy crushed up shell looking stuff in there. He was trying to dig in it and obviously there is not even enough to dig in. But I learned about any type of sand being bad off here. Just want to make sure his shell looks normal and check on the coconut oil thing! We got him that rock out of the back yard today so he can file his claws down some. I boiled it twice and scrubbed it with dawn and then gave it a good rinse and dry. I don't want him to get sick from anything that could have been on the rock!
upload_2016-10-2_20-2-30.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
His shell looks fine. A large growth line, not sure why that happens sometimes, but I have seen it before. Read the adult Russian caresheet and follow it and you won't need to use the oil. Pyramiding is not usually seen as often in Russians like it is in other species. Yours doesn't have any that I can tell by a pic. It's when their scutes, the sections that make up the top she'll start growing upward, looking like pyramids.

CHANGE THE SUBSTRATE!! Sand is not good for Russians because if they eat it, it clogs up their insides and can be fatal. I recommend coco fiber or coir and or wood chips. no sand because sand can kill them

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Your Russian looks great! I have one as well; I recommend using the coco coir (coconut fiber) substrate. My Russian seems to enjoy it, and burrowing is normal for these guys. There are some great weeds you can grow in your backyard to help supplement your tort's diet if you feed a lot of store bought greens. The Tortoise Table has a great database of plants: http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/tortoise_home_1.asp Check it out and keep asking great questions! :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @StephandTay and a very warm welcome to the forum! :D

You tort looks good, and cute. :<3: Give him soaks in warm water.

Please change substrate asap.

Any pics of his enclosure?

enzot91

5 Year Member
Scotland
His beak looks fairly overgrown in that second picture. Can you post a closer shot of his face? Give him some cuttlebone to gnaw on, that should help.

StephandTay

Lodi, WI
CHANGE THE SUBSTRATE!! Sand is not good for Russians because if they eat it, it clogs up their insides and can be fatal. I recommend coco fiber or coir and or wood chips. no sand because sand can kill them

That is what he came with, I learned it was bad and changed it today!

StephandTay

Lodi, WI
Hello and welcome

I agree that the substrate needs to be changed.

Please see these care sheets for Russians

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
His beak looks fairly overgrown in that second picture. Can you post a closer shot of his face? Give him some cuttlebone to gnaw on, that should help.

Read those right away! :)

StephandTay

Lodi, WI
Will take a better face picture and post it! Got Tiny new substrate today and he is loving it and ate great today. 3rd day in our home and he seems really happy!

Lu_x85

Welcome!

I would suggest giving him a good soak as you don't know how well hydrated he is. I think most people would recommend soaking frequently to ensure hydration.

Perhaps offer some slate feeding stations for helping with his claw and beak filling. Cuttlefish would also help and I bet he'd love it!

Good to hear you've changed the substrate! Welcome to the forum and gorgeous tort :)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan