Help please! I need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

taytay3391

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa, USA
Hey guys. I just got a bigger tank for my Russian. She was in about a 30 gallon rubber maid tote but she's started getting bigger now so I wanted to make sure she had enough room to "be free." ANYWAY, I'm really nervous because she's so anxious in this new place. It's 2x4 ft wooden structure, with her ramp bowl, food bowl, half log, and fake plant. She has her heat lamp on one side as well as her UVB lamp. BUT she keeps pacing and won't go into her log even though its her favorite spot. She ate some broccoli (as I knew it was her favorite) and urated in her water last night. Today she ate most of her meal but then started pacing again. She constantly digs and burrows in the corner. The main one she's digging at is right under the heat lamp. Im getting worried because I don't want her to get too hot or idk something!

All in all she seems pretty normal but she just keeps pacing and digging at the corners of the tank she's starting to worry me. I just wanted to give her something bigger and better! Do I just wait it out? Or should I be more proactive. I'm just so worried. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Attachments

• image-4056631349.png
    image-4056631349.png
    480.9 KB · Views: 54

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Add more plants and another hide, a few rocks to climb over. She doesn't want the open space so much as she wants security. Add the new furnishings, and then wait for her to become familiar with her new territory.

taytay3391

5 Year Member
Iowa, USA
Awesome. I was thinking of getting a slab of rock over by the heat lamp and then I wasn't sure what else to put? Just some fake plants or foliage? I guess I'm not sure what furnishings to add

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
Maybe try putting another hiding place in the corner where he digs?

Ours seem to dig on the sides in the morning when they first wake up. I've noticed that it precedes me feeding them. Maybe they are trying to get my attention?

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
In my enclosure, I added a planter full of ponytail palms and placed it about 6 inches in from a corner, so my torts can go all the way around it. They seem to like that. I also have a variety of rocks, a hill, seedlings coming up all over the place, and a pair of shed antlers. I could add a couple of clay flower pots turned on their sides. When we get closer to fall I will be moving in a few edible plants from my porch planters.

taytay3391

5 Year Member
Iowa, USA
She's sleeping RIGHT under the heat lamp and not under her log. she has no cover. should i be worried? she's never done this and i didn't think they slept in the heat but in the cooler temps? it's like 83 degrees over there!

See what I mean? Her log is maybe a foot away from her.

Attachments

• image-3517328387.png
    image-3517328387.png
    303 KB · Views: 43

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
It's 83 degrees under your heat lamp? It needs to be a little warmer, close to 95*. Also, don't rely on those clamps to hold your light, they can slip and cause fires/burns. It's best to hang them, or at least secure the clamp with something. If one of your lamps is an mvb, it needs to point straight down. Good job on your enclosure!

taytay3391

5 Year Member
Iowa, USA
..how do I get it warmer? I bought the bulb I read up on. And the clamp lights have actually been working quite well. The UVB is also a clamp light but it's on the other side and is turned off as it is "nighttime".

taytay3391

5 Year Member
Iowa, USA
here's an updated photo. still at 83 degrees on the "heat" side. Do I add another heat lamp or..???

Today she got some bok choy and red leaf lettuce!

Attachments

• 120827_002.jpg
    120827_002.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 52

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
taytay3391 said:
She ate some broccoli

I would feed broccoli sparingly- like once a month- if at all. I personally don't feed my tortoise broccoli at all. It is high in oxalic acid.
You will hear it's okay as a small part of a varied diet, but with so many better food choices I just avoid it altogether.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
The clamps don't allow your heat lamp to shine straight down. I have mine hung from chains so I can raise or lower them easily. I raise them a link or two if the temp below is gettin over 100, lower them if needed. Is there a way you could use a stand of some kind? You should not need to add another heat lamp, just get the one you have into a position where it can work.
Another thing I do to maximize heat is I put a few rocks right below the heat lamp, some a little higher than others. The rocks absorb heat, and the different heights let torts bask at a warmer or cooler temp, as they wish.

taytay3391

5 Year Member
Iowa, USA
ChiKat said:
I would feed broccoli sparingly- like once a month- if at all. I personally don't feed my tortoise broccoli at all. It is high in oxalic acid.
You will hear it's okay as a small part of a varied diet, but with so many better food choices I just avoid it altogether.

What?! Broccoli is her absolute FAVORITE!!!

Is a ceramic infrared heat emitter 60watt okay? The brand is reptocare. Is this okay??? I have a wooden tort table I just made that 4x2 ft. I think I need it warmer. I've been told to hang the light, I have a clamp light, but have rocks underneath to catch the heat. Also my UVB... It's only on one side, is that ok or does that need to be hung as well?

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
What?! Broccoli is her absolute FAVORITE!!!

My franklins the same with tomato, to the point where he loved it do much it was a big part of his diet when I first got him, ok yeah I was an ignorant tortoise mommy, but everyone on here has helped me out alot, now he only gets a grape tomato once or twice a month (depending on when I feel be needs a treat lol)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
also be careful putting things in the corners or along the sides, They climb very well and will pull themselves over the sides and fall.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
The UVB should be facing straight down to work properly, on one end is fine. Otherwise they won't get the UVB.
Zoomed does make some nice lamp stands for this purpose if chains won't work. Or you can make a lamp stand out of wood up the short sides and a connecting piece across the enclosure; hang fixures from that.
If your house is 65F or more, you may not even need the heat lamp. Or, depending on actual temps in the enclosure, you can place it 1/2way down.
Those round thermometers are not very accurate. Try getting a digital thermometer with a wire probe that you can move around (these are quite inexpensive at places like Walmart).

You are off to a good start; we all have to fine tune things to get them right! ;)

taytay3391

5 Year Member
Iowa, USA
lynnedit said:
The UVB should be facing straight down to work properly, on one end is fine. Otherwise they won't get the UVB.
Zoomed does make some nice lamp stands for this purpose if chains won't work. Or you can make a lamp stand out of wood up the short sides and a connecting piece across the enclosure; hang fixures from that.
If your house is 65F or more, you may not even need the heat lamp. Or, depending on actual temps in the enclosure, you can place it 1/2way down.
Those round thermometers are not very accurate. Try getting a digital thermometer with a wire probe that you can move around (these are quite inexpensive at places like Walmart).

You are off to a good start; we all have to fine tune things to get them right! ;)

Thank you!!! You have been THE most helpful person. I haven't gotten that straight of an answer in like three or four places. I will be working on that this upcoming labor day weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.